The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: desperate times calls for desperate measures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Vet says he nearly operated on himself when VA wouldn't pay medical bill

BURLINGTON, Mass. - A New Hampshire veteran was nearly forced to operate on himself after he says the Department Veterans Affairs refused to pay his medical bill. It was a simple accident that landed John Irish in the hospital with a deep cut from a power tool. And he says it's not the hospital's fault he was denied service for that wound unless he paid cash. He blames a broken federal system that stuck him with the bill.

“I looked down and there was a piece of my finger missing,” Irish told Boston 25.

A former Army National Guard solider and longtime EMT, Irish has seen his share of injuries and the bloodied thumb from a table saw didn't faze him.

What did cut deep was what happened next at Lahey Medical Center at his appointment for stitches removal.

“They handed me a slip of paper saying, ‘we are going to have to have you sign this, because the VA says they're not going to pay the bill,” he said.
Irish receives benefits through the Veterans Affairs Choice program, which allows vets to access private care amidst lengthy wait times at VA medical facilities.

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/vet-says-he-nearly-operated-on-himself-when-va-wouldnt-pay-medical-bill/520957865
such bullshit :(
This kind of stuff happens a lot.  The VA has tried to stick me with the bill more than once, and has gotten away with it.  Fortunately, I have Medicare that gives the medical facilities enough to satisfy most ER's. 

The VA really isn't a Health insurance, they'll do a lot, but it's not all encompassing, even if VA Triage tells a person to go to an ER they may dodge paying the bill. 

We'll see what President Trump does with Veteran issues.  That was another of his 'promises'.
I hear these stories only in the news, the rejection of service etc. I know quite a few vets and I have never heard of them having issues. The vets I know are all over the country and I have never heard them complain, if anything they get better care then I do.
(05-10-2017, 01:07 PM)Lily Wrote: [ -> ]I hear these stories only in the news, the rejection of service etc. I know quite a few vets and I have never heard of them having issues. The vets I know are all over the country and I have never heard them complain, if anything they get better care then I do.

I think part of it has to do with whether the ailment/injury is service connected. Mr.Unleashed gets nothing from VA but when he came back from Nam, he got a clean bill of health. Unless he can prove something is service related, he had medicare only.
Now if they have even one service connected issue then VA  picks up other things as well.
I think anyway Scratchinghead .
(05-10-2017, 05:19 PM)MysticPizza Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-10-2017, 01:07 PM)Lily Wrote: [ -> ]I hear these stories only in the news, the rejection of service etc. I know quite a few vets and I have never heard of them having issues. The vets I know are all over the country and I have never heard them complain, if anything they get better care then I do.

I think part of it has to do with whether the ailment/injury is service connected. Mr.Unleashed gets nothing from VA but when he came back from Nam, he got a clean bill of health. Unless he can prove something is service related, he had medicare only.
Now if they have even one service connected issue then VA  picks up other things as well.

Does he have tinnitus? Ringing in the ears?  Did he have exposure to Agent Orange?
(05-10-2017, 09:32 PM)Archangel Wrote: [ -> ]

Does he have tinnitus? Ringing in the ears?  Did he have exposure to Agent Orange?

No ringing in the ears but probably on the AO.  He never got sick though until his first stroke at age 45. That was caused by an arterial problem that's hereditary.

PTSD is something a nurse and I talked about once but the nurse said since it had been over 40 years, impossible to tell. He's closed lipped about any of it. I've only heard snippets in nearly 30 years with him.
(05-10-2017, 09:37 PM)MysticPizza Wrote: [ -> ]

No ringing in the ears but probably on the AO.  He never got sick though until his first stroke at age 45. That was caused by an arterial problem that's hereditary.

PTSD is something a nurse and I talked about once but the nurse said since it had been over 40 years, impossible to tell. He's closed lipped about any of it. I've only heard snippets in nearly 30 years with him.

PTSD manifests in many ways.  Sleep disturbances, drinking, anger issues.  Flashbacks.  Some are able to tough it out, and others it snaps them, and it becomes very obvious.  If he was stationed in certain areas, he should be on the Agent Orange registry and have the Agent Orange Health check up.

https://www.vets.gov/disability-benefits...alth-exam/

There are certain illnesses associated with Agent Orange.

Here's something new:

CBS:Vaccine Injured Veterans Denied Benefits

http://www.healthnutnews.com/cbsvaccine-...-benefits/
(05-10-2017, 10:03 PM)Archangel Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-10-2017, 09:37 PM)MysticPizza Wrote: [ -> ]

PTSD manifests in many ways.  Sleep disturbances, drinking, anger issues.  Flashbacks.  Some are able to tough it out, and others it snaps them, and it becomes very obvious.  If he was stationed in certain areas, he should be on the Agent Orange registry and have the Agent Orange Health check up.

https://www.vets.gov/disability-benefits...alth-exam/

There are certain illnesses associated with Agent Orange.

Here's something new:

CBS:Vaccine Injured Veterans Denied Benefits

http://www.healthnutnews.com/cbsvaccine-...-benefits/

The jabs he got are something he's talked about. It was one of the points he tried to make with my son when he was considering joining the marines. I have the link bookmarked,thank you.
Just went through this basic situation with my father.
Medicare and VA said he was fully covered.
After quad bypass and one heart valve, he has bills for 22K.
Used up all his savings to pay what he could.
Had to get a cease and desist from the collections calling him 10 times a day.
83 and limited income.

Courts can issue a warrant for unpaid debt if a creditor files a case.
The medical and insurance system is dysfunctional and has become more about profits, than healing people.
Pages: 1 2