The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: 'We're Totally Fucked': Scientists Explain Why They're Running for Office
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Ahead of the March for Science Saturday, about 100 scientists met at American University in Washington, DC for a training session to learn how they can run for office to bring science, reason, and logical thinking back to politics.

"It shows a level of seriousness to show up here," Shaughnessy Naughton, executive director of 314 Action, the group that will support many of these candidates. "It's scary taking that step from being a private citizen to putting your name out there to run for office."

I caught up with eight potential candidates—some of them already have seats in mind and have announced their candidacies, others are simply testing the waters—about why they want to leave the lab bench for the bully pulpit.

Dr. Kathie Allen, Family Physician, Utah 3rd District
I wanted to bring integrity and ethics back to Washington, DC and throughout the country.

I'm running in the third congressional district in Utah in the seat that has been occupied by Jason Chaffetz. I think that the value of a family physician in government is not only do we have the science background to analyze and we're able to take complex data and explain it in simple terms, but my 30 years as a primary care physician gives me the perspective of compassion because I've worked with people as patients who had no insurance, no resources, who had to make tough decisions about whether to seek healthcare or feed their families.

I'm running because I think those kinds of issues need to be addressed in a scientific and compassionate manner. Chaffetz announced he would not run at 2018 and throughout this training, I have to admit I became distracted during the afternoon because rumors were flying that he was not only not going to run but he was going to resign soon. This all happened really as I was being dropped off at the curb for this trip to Washington, DC. So at this point in the week, I have a lot of questions. But I will say my message to our constituents has not changed. The desire to bring ethics and integrity back to Washington and to apply the skills. And if there's a special election, I'm more ready than anybody else.

more:  https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/artic...for-office

Yeah, no.
(04-21-2017, 04:09 PM)Talon Wrote: [ -> ]Ahead of the March for Science Saturday, about 100 scientists met at American University in Washington, DC for a training session to learn how they can run for office to bring science, reason, and logical thinking back to politics.

"It shows a level of seriousness to show up here," Shaughnessy Naughton, executive director of 314 Action, the group that will support many of these candidates. "It's scary taking that step from being a private citizen to putting your name out there to run for office."

I caught up with eight potential candidates—some of them already have seats in mind and have announced their candidacies, others are simply testing the waters—about why they want to leave the lab bench for the bully pulpit.

Dr. Kathie Allen, Family Physician, Utah 3rd District
I wanted to bring integrity and ethics back to Washington, DC and throughout the country.

I'm running in the third congressional district in Utah in the seat that has been occupied by Jason Chaffetz. I think that the value of a family physician in government is not only do we have the science background to analyze and we're able to take complex data and explain it in simple terms, but my 30 years as a primary care physician gives me the perspective of compassion because I've worked with people as patients who had no insurance, no resources, who had to make tough decisions about whether to seek healthcare or feed their families.

I'm running because I think those kinds of issues need to be addressed in a scientific and compassionate manner. Chaffetz announced he would not run at 2018 and throughout this training, I have to admit I became distracted during the afternoon because rumors were flying that he was not only not going to run but he was going to resign soon. This all happened really as I was being dropped off at the curb for this trip to Washington, DC. So at this point in the week, I have a lot of questions. But I will say my message to our constituents has not changed. The desire to bring ethics and integrity back to Washington and to apply the skills. And if there's a special election, I'm more ready than anybody else.

more:  https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/artic...for-office

Yeah, no.

Chuckle

you are just full of good news today!
I don't know if science would fare well politically, science is about logic and reason and politics, well that is mostly run on emotion. Perhaps planning would go better if we elected some scientists.
"I'm running because I think those kinds of issues need to be addressed in a scientific and compassionate manner."

I am not sure that I like these words being used together in the same sentence.
She won't be even close to the first - Ron Paul was an MD and Rand is an ophthalmologist...

Is There a Doctor in the House? Yes, 17. And 3 in the Senate.

At least 26 more physicians are running for the House, some for re-election. In all, 20 people with medical degrees serve in Congress today, 17 in the House and three in the Senate, a number that has doubled over the last decade, according to the American Medical Association. (By contrast, a Johns Hopkins University study found that from 1960 to 2004, only 25 physicians served in either the House or the Senate.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/08/us/politics/doctors-confident-in-their-healing-powers-rush-for-congress.html

That's from 2014 - so goodness knows how many medics/scientists there are now...

I think she is just looking for a sound-bite and something by which to sell her "suitability" for office - and that's all she's got!
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/3/2/1...h-s-3rd-CD

Congress these days seems absolutely devoid of ethics and hampered by partisanship. Some sweeping reforms need to happen to get the country back on course. Two of these reforms are ending gerrymandering and getting money out of politics.

Whlle it may not be in my power to effect these needed reforms, I want to contribute to a tone in Congress that brings back civil discourse and consensus-building. I am clear-headed and practical and able to quickly appreciate the point of an argument. Not being a career politician, I bring a creative and fresh viewpoint to problem-solving.

Jason Chaffetz has been a poor public servant who has shown a lack of stewardship of the 3rd Congressional District of Utah. He has failed to listen carefully and consider the needs of his constituents. He has lied about activists being "paid protestors." Despite an outcry from his public, he has refused to investigate Donald Trump's numerous conflicts of interests, his ties to Russia, and he has equivocated on why he will not call for a release of Trump's tax returns. Meanwhile, our country has been subjected to daily anxiety in wondering why such corruption does not concern the Republicans in power. Instead, his focus has been on leaks rather than on what the leaks revealed, which is truly frightening to many of us. He consistently puts party before patriotism and seems to lack a moral compass.

As a physician, I will apply a diagnostic skill set to the problems of our nation. Other skills that are transferable include being able to render complex ideas into laymens' language, and exhibiting respect and concern for those who are ailing. I am also very perusasive, having studied what motivates human beings. I have shown them how to be their own life coach. Advocacy is also part of doctoring. We represent the needs of our patients to the bureaucracy of health care. We often must negotiate with insurance companies and health corporations to insure that our patients are treated with dignity and fairness.

As a woman, I bring an additional dimension to the role of Member of Congress. There is too little of the feminine archetype in politics. Women often have a more holistic way of looking at a problem. We want to heal divisions and promote consensus. I don't believe in inflexible constructs of what constitutes masculinity and feminity, but I am firmly convinced that the world needs a good balance of both. Women are adapted to putting the needs of family first. This woman wants to put the needs of her country first.

jess

(04-21-2017, 04:14 PM)titanic1 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if science would fare well politically, science is about logic and reason and politics, well that is mostly run on emotion.  Perhaps planning would go better if we elected some scientists.

Politics is about manipulation. Many social scientists know how to do exactly just that. Depends upon what methods of science are used in the process to get the results desired, I supposse.

jess

(04-21-2017, 04:15 PM)snowglobe Wrote: [ -> ]"I'm running because I think those kinds of issues need to be addressed in a scientific and compassionate manner."

I don't like it when they're not.
(04-21-2017, 04:14 PM)titanic1 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if science would fare well politically, science is about logic and reason and politics, well that is mostly run on emotion.  Perhaps planning would go better if we elected some scientists.

merkel is a former research scientist with a doctorate in physical chemistry. look what she has done to germany. Lol
(04-21-2017, 04:44 PM)jess Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-21-2017, 04:15 PM)snowglobe Wrote: [ -> ]"I'm running because I think those kinds of issues need to be addressed in a scientific and compassionate manner."

I don't like it when they're not.

I see your point. 

My experience has been that when ever these types of words are linked together, the intentional use of them has been manipulative.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6