The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: The world's first solar road has turned out to be a colossal failure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:Solar roads were promised to be one of the biggest unprecedented revolutions of our time, not just in the field of renewable energy but in the energy sector generally.

Covering 2,800 square meters, Normandy's solar road was the first in the world, inaugurated in 2016, in Tourouvre-au-Perche, France.

Despite the hype surrounding solar roads, two years after this one was introduced as a trial, the project has turned out to be a colossal failure — it's neither efficient nor profitable, according to a report by Le Monde.

more https://www.businessinsider.de/worlds-fi...ure-2019-8

as expected. Troll2
(08-18-2019, 02:52 PM)cutecumber Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Solar roads were promised to be one of the biggest unprecedented revolutions of our time, not just in the field of renewable energy but in the energy sector generally.

Covering 2,800 square meters, Normandy's solar road was the first in the world, inaugurated in 2016, in Tourouvre-au-Perche, France.

Despite the hype surrounding solar roads, two years after this one was introduced as a trial, the project has turned out to be a colossal failure — it's neither efficient nor profitable, according to a report by Le Monde.

as expected.  Troll2

But, the computer modeling said ,it would be Sustainable and Profitable ??????
(08-18-2019, 03:39 PM)MaximalGravity Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2019, 02:52 PM)cutecumber Wrote: [ -> ]

as expected.  Troll2

Must be the same computer they use for predicting global warming. Chuckle
(08-18-2019, 04:27 PM)WNC Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2019, 02:52 PM)cutecumber Wrote: [ -> ]as expected.  Troll2

I don't know if you've ever used modeling software..but, it's far from perfect.

I use Spice on occasion for electronics projects. Predicted results are often far from reality. I build the modeled circuits. Today, Berkeley Spice is taught and trusted by US EE students, who rarely, if ever, build anything. Soldering is outlawed in many schools and cities. This is a prime reason foreign engineers are popular. They can actually build a working prototype. A US grad will hand you a thump drive as a finished project. They think, they have created a working device. They are no more than children when it comes to reality.
(08-18-2019, 04:37 PM)MaximalGravity Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2019, 03:39 PM)MaximalGravity Wrote: [ -> ]But, the computer modeling said ,it would be Sustainable and Profitable ??????

I use Spice on occasion for electronics projects. Predicted results are often far from reality. I build the modeled circuits. Today, Berkeley Spice is taught and trusted by US EE students, who rarely, if ever,  build anything. Soldering is outlawed in many schools and cities. This is a prime reason foreign engineers are popular. They can actually build a working prototype. A US grad will hand you a thump drive as a finished project. They think, they have created a working device. They are no more than children when it comes to reality.

Never did any computer modeling, we used to simulations when I was in engineering school, that's about it.
(08-18-2019, 04:40 PM)WNC Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2019, 04:37 PM)MaximalGravity Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2019, 04:27 PM)WNC Wrote: [ -> ]Must be the same computer they use for predicting global warming. Chuckle

I use Spice on occasion for electronics projects. Predicted results are often far from reality. I build the modeled circuits. Today, Berkeley Spice is taught and trusted by US EE students, who rarely, if ever,  build anything. Soldering is outlawed in many schools and cities. This is a prime reason foreign engineers are popular. They can actually build a working prototype. A US grad will hand you a thump drive as a finished project. They think, they have created a working device. They are no more than children when it comes to reality.

Never did any computer modeling, we used to simulations when I was in engineering school, that's about it.

I don't know how familiar you are with transformers but, you can't shrink them much, as per performance specs. The core materials have improved but, wire size and turns count are controlled by Physics.

When speaking to a vendor's applications engineer, he told me he had just gotten off the phone with a young engineer, who had screwed the pooch big time. He needed a small transformer to fit in the allotted board space for a production run. No transformer of the size required met his electrical specifications. It was an impossibility. The engineer had called many vendors with the same results..nothing available.

It wouldn't have been too bad, had not the boards already been in production. The kid didn't even build and test the design. He put total trust in Spice. I'm sure he lost his job. I wouldn't have hired him.

Computer modeling ain't what it's cracked up to be..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPICE
(08-18-2019, 02:52 PM)cutecumber Wrote: [ -> ]as expected.  Troll2

And the same computer that generated the nonsense polls that had Hillary winning in 2016
(08-18-2019, 05:03 PM)Hazmat Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2019, 03:39 PM)MaximalGravity Wrote: [ -> ]But, the computer modeling said ,it would be Sustainable and Profitable ??????

And the same computer that generated the nonsense polls that had Hillary winning in 2016

Chuckle
(08-18-2019, 05:03 PM)Hazmat Wrote: [ -> ]

And, predicts our local weather with 47% accuracy. You have better odds flipping a coin, or looking out a window.
Didn't need computer models to see what a ridiculous idea this was.
Pages: 1 2