The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: NSA Warns Microsoft Windows Users: Update Now Or Face 'Devastating Damage'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In an advisory published this week, the NSA has urged “Microsoft Windows administrators and users to ensure they are using a patched and updated system in the face of growing threat.” That threat being BlueKeep, which has already been the focus of multiple “update now” warnings from Microsoft itself.

The NSA warning comes off the back of research that revealed just under one million internet-facing machines are still vulnerable to BlueKeep on port 3389, used by the Microsoft Remote Desktop feature, with nobody knows how many devices at risk within the internal networks beyond.

If you’re wondering just how critical this vulnerability is, Microsoft’s reaction is a good indication: the company issued fixes for it not just for the supported Windows versions (Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server) but also for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Server 2003, which are still widely used but no longer receive mainstream support. (Systems running Windows 8 and Windows 10 are not vulnerable).

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEE-...id=US%3Aen
Well , then I ' ll stop worrying about Wife finally getting a Win 10 Upgrade Push . Claims She never uses that OS , but still on Her Tripple Booter .

Thanks for the Heads Up @RiskyRob .

This computer does nothing but browse. I'll go back to Linux the day there's a real issue...
Wasn't that the NSA's malware to begin with that they lost to a hacker that is using it now?

Seems somehow ironic...
Seems suspicious.

NSA wants everyone to update to an obviously more vulnerable OS version?
make sure remote services are off and blocked by firewall is all.

The NSA warning comes off the back of research that revealed just under one million internet-facing machines are still vulnerable to BlueKeep on port 3389, used by the Microsoft Remote Desktop feature, with nobody knows how many devices at risk within the internal networks beyond.
(06-08-2019, 11:11 AM)Treebeard Wrote: [ -> ]make sure remote services are off and blocked by firewall is all.

If you don't want to install the patch, I've read you want to disable the Microsoft Remote Desktop feature.
That may be more than "turning it off".

I also saw a list of another half dozen modifications beyond disabling Remote Desktop, if you don't want to patch the OS.
(06-08-2019, 10:44 AM)Tolimar Wrote: [ -> ]Seems suspicious.

It could create havoc on the internet if a million plus machine got infected.
The free patch for those ancient versions of Windows is unprecedented.
(06-08-2019, 10:06 AM)counterintelligence Wrote: [ -> ]Wasn't that the NSA's malware to begin with that they lost to a hacker that is using it now?

Seems somehow ironic...

I'm not sure, but that other exploit may run on newer OS's. This is for Windows 7 and older.
(06-08-2019, 11:34 AM)RiskyRob Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-08-2019, 10:44 AM)Tolimar Wrote: [ -> ]Seems suspicious.

It could create havoc on the internet if a million plus machine got infected.
The free patch for those ancient versions of Windows is unprecedented.

Yes, havoc on the internet.

For me, not much of a concern outside the internet.

I no longer put anything really important on to that "Chinese Spy Network".