The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Here's What the Universe Looks Like in X-Rays
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
NASA researchers have unveiled a new treasure map of the universe, and — thanks to a neutron-star-hunting telescope aboard the International Space Station — X-ray marks the spot.

The new all-sky map, uploaded May 30 to NASA's website, shows what the cosmos looks like in high-energy X-ray light. X-rays are among the most energetic forms of light in the universe; they're beamed into space by some of the most extreme objects in the cosmos, including powerful supernova explosions, gas-gobbling neutron stars, and supermassive black holes that suck matter into their maws at near-light-speed.

Humans can't see these arcing streams of light careening around the cosmos (our sight is limited to the much weaker, visible light chunk of the electromagnetic spectrum), but NASA's special X-ray observatory aboard the International Space Station can. Known as the Neutron Star Interior Composition Explorer (NICER), the telescope's primary mission is to study pulsars — fast-spinning, ultra-dense corpses of collapsed stars that pulse with high-energy light as they whirl.

https://www.livescience.com/65610-x-ray-...verse.html

[Image: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1h...FwLmpwZw==]

Full Throttle

If I had X Ray vision, I would hope I also had the ability to turn it off!!!
Pretty cool map though.