The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Osteoperosis Drug Cures Baldness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

A drug originally designed as a treatment for the bone-thinning disease, osteoporosis, is being considered as a possible breakthrough treatment for bald people.
Currently only two drugs — minoxidil and finasteride — are available for treatment of male-pattern balding (androgenetic alopecia). A project by The University of Manchester’s Centre for Dermatology Research in England began work by examining an immunosuppressive drug that had long been known to cause hair growth as a side effect.

This drug, Cyclosporine A (CsA), has been commonly used since the 1980s to suppress transplant rejection and autoimmune diseases. The project team discovered that CsA restricts a protein that when otherwise left alone, slows the growth of hair follicles. Hair growth, however, is the least problematic side-effect of CsA, leading project leader, Nathan Hawkshaw, to look for another solution.
After some research, he discovered that a separate compound developed to tackle osteoporosis also suppressed the bald-causing protein in the same manner. Better yet, scientists believe this drug, titled “WAY-316606,” can be administered without dramatic side-effects.

Cite: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/08/baldness...finds.html

A drug used to treat osteoporosis might hold a key to restoring hair growth, researchers in the U.K. claim.
A study conducted by the University of Manchester's Center for Dermatology Research found a compound could halt the effects of a protein suppressing hair growth within follicles.
Researchers initially considered the drug Cyclosporine A, used to treat autoimmune diseases and suppress transplant rejection. However, side effects were so severe researchers decided it wouldn't work as well for hair loss prevention.
The study eventually led researchers to WAY-316606, a compound used to treat osteoporosis. After testing it on isolated hair follicles from a human scalp, scientists learned the compound promoted hair growth without the side effects.

Cite: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati...593662002/

Published in the journal PLOS Biology, the research tested more than 40 samples of hair follicles from hair-transplant patients.
A clinical trial will be necessary to ensure the treatment is safe, according to project leader Dr Nathan Hawkshaw.
Currently there are only two drugs available to remedy balding, according to the BBC. Minoxidil works for men and women, but finasteride can only be used by men.
The new treatment could “make a real difference to people who suffer from hair loss,” says Dr. Hawkshaw, BBC reports.

Cite: http://time.com/5272079/baldness-new-cure-osteoporosis/
1dunno1 people don’t want to be bald?
(05-02-2019, 08:07 PM)unclelunatic Wrote: [ -> ]1dunno1  people don’t want to be bald?

I have shaved my head for years now, nothing wrong with it. Saves me a lot of time and money!
(05-02-2019, 08:13 PM)sivil Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2019, 08:07 PM)unclelunatic Wrote: [ -> ]1dunno1  people don’t want to be bald?

I have shaved my head for years now, nothing wrong with it.  Saves me a lot of time and money!

Yeah3
... I’m bald, so I may be biased Chuckle

I’ve been shaving it for a while now... these ‘guys’ nowadays spend way too much money on hair crap Facepalm
I'd probably just get a hairy back.
Facepalm
(05-02-2019, 08:32 PM)FlyoverCountry Wrote: [ -> ]I'd probably just get a hairy back.
Facepalm

...and palms.

[Image: DfaL3yr.gif]
I ' m still working on it . . .