The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: ATT: Craftsmen and DIYers. How To Fix a Porcelain Mug With a TIG Welder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
These Brits are great automotive fabricators, craftsmen.  Their video series includes the construction of an original Mini with turbo-charged Toyota AWD drivetrain.  Anyone who has welded, fabricated, designed and constructed will appreciate the talents these guys have.  Always full of good British humour.

Being avid tea drinkers, they produced this 2 min video on how to repair a broken porcelain mug with a TIG welder.

https://youtu.be/vKWfW-MIRHc
Aw man! I needed this video last year when a dog broke my favorite mug. Showing this to Mr. Stunt, he needs to learn this skill in our crazy house. Chuckle
Didn`t see any cracks on the inside, Plus porcelain is an insulator, a tig welder needs a circuit to function.... calling BS
(04-19-2019, 11:24 AM)Hazmat Wrote: [ -> ]Didn`t see any cracks on the inside, Plus porcelain is an insulator, a tig welder needs a circuit to function.... calling BS

There's nothing like getting ready to take a sip when the cup falls into your lap while the handle is still firmly in your grasp.
(04-19-2019, 11:24 AM)Hazmat Wrote: [ -> ]Didn`t see any cracks on the inside, Plus porcelain is an insulator, a tig welder needs a circuit to function.... calling BS

It's British humour. Jeez, lighten up!

Yep, the (ground) circuit clamp. Sometimes small objects can be placed on a grounded table but, it's tricky. The connection isn't always good and the arc will sputter.

It looks like the vice is grounded so.. That qualifies.

I think the arc heat is used to melt the porcelain glass and form a glass butt weld. No metal deposited.
Obviously, I’m not a welder Chuckle
(04-19-2019, 11:56 AM)MaximalGravity Wrote: [ -> ]

Yep, the (ground) circuit clamp. Sometimes small objects can be placed on a grounded table but, it's tricky. The connection isn't always good and the arc will sputter.

It looks like the vice is grounded so.. That qualifies.

I think the arc heat is used to melt the porcelain glass and form a glass butt weld. No metal deposited.

A 2% palladium/ceramic feed rod and enough concentrated heat (note he switched to AC), who knows?