The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Study Shows Garlic Prevents Dementia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

They say a nutrient in garlic offers the brain protection against ageing and disease.
It could even prevent age-related neurological diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

The University of Missouri researchers found a carbohydrate in the superfood is key.
'Garlic is one of the most widely consumed dietary supplements,' said Zezong Gu, associate professor of pathology and anatomical sciences at the MU School of Medicine and lead author of the study. 'Most people think of it as a 'superfood,' because garlic's sulfur-containing compounds are known as an excellent source of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory protection.

'Scientists are still discovering different ways garlic benefits the human body,' he said.
'Our research focused on a carbohydrate derivative of garlic known as FruArg and the role this nutrient plays in protective responses.'
Gu's team looked at the nutrient's ability to inhibit ― and even possibly reverse ― brain cell damage caused by environmental stress.
Environmental stress could include the aging process, smoking, pollution, traumatic brain injury or excessive alcohol consumption.

Cite:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/...sease.html

In the quest to find a potential cure and treatment for Alzheimer’s disease, a by-product of garlic called aged garlic extract was recently studied on mice and it showed some serious promise. Alzheimer’s disease, the most common form of dementia and now the 7th leading cause of death in the United States, results from the deposit of proteins called amyloid-beta protein peptides that can cause inflammation and form plaque in the brain.
The available drugs today only treat the symptoms, so serious efforts are underway to search for a cure, or at least to stop the disease progression. Currently, treatment costs associated with Alzheimer’s disease are climbing and therefore, cheaper, natural food substances for treatment drugs are being investigated worldwide.  One of such substances being tested is garlic. When reviewing preliminary results of various animal and laboratory studies involving aged garlic extract and one of its key compounds, S-allyl-L-cysteine, garlic extract treatment showed protective effects against inflammatory process and chemical changes in the brain that occur in Alzheimer’s disease patients. In the study on mice, the four-month-long treatment with aged garlic extract decreased the number of plaques in their brains.
Where does this extract come from? Garlic has sulfur-containing compounds that can be unfavorable and undesirable. When garlic is soaked in ethanol-water mixture for 20 months, unfavorable compounds are destroyed and useful ones become soluble resulting in aged garlic extract, which it contains S-allyl-L-cysteine or SAC.

Cite:  https://fyiliving.com/diet/garlic-bad-fo...your-brain

These benefits likely come from allyl sulfide, a compound in garlic thought to be responsible for the bulbs’ potent odor — and it looks like enduring garlic breath might be worth the trouble. The study found that the compound may help prevent age-related memory problems by way of your gut bacteria.

“The diversity of the gut microbiota is diminished in elderly people, a life stage when neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s develop and memory and cognitive abilities can decline,” said Neetu Tyagi, an associate professor at the University of Louisville School of Medicine and one of the study’s lead authors, in a release. “We want to better understand how changes in the gut microbiota relate to aging-associated cognitive decline.”
The researchers found that mice who consumed a supplement of allyl sulfide had fewer memory problems in old age — and a healthier gut microbiota. They also found that the mice ingesting the garlic compound had higher levels of neuronal-derived natriuretic factor (NDNF) gene expression in their brains, a gene that studies suggest helps to preserve memory. These mice also had lower levels of intestinal inflammation. This kind of inflammation can occur as a result of an unhealthy gut microbiota.

Cite:  https://www.thedailymeal.com/healthy-eat...udy/041119

Wow this fits in with my eating 6 raw cloves of garlic for breakfast to lower my blood pressure, plus I won't lose my mind, what a bonus! -Sivil
I [Image: 3XK7lY6.png] it.

That smells of an AD Campaign.
Yes, i own a garlic plantation. hahahaha

It does do a lot for a person, gets rid of your cold quick, lowers your blood pressure, natural blood thinner, I guess it is a superfood.

Oh i should say, start slow when you take garlic, maybe 1 or 2 cloves, some people get sick.
(04-13-2019, 06:59 AM)sivil Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, i own a garlic plantation.  hahahaha

It does do a lot for a person, gets rid of your cold quick, lowers your blood pressure, natural blood thinner, I guess it is a superfood.

Oh i should say, start slow when you take garlic, maybe 1 or 2 cloves, some people get sick.

I absolutely love garlic

Cheer

You have a garlic plantation? We should hang out Yeah3 Chuckle
(04-13-2019, 06:59 AM)sivil Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, i own a garlic plantation.  hahahaha

I have a 10 ft. X 10 ft. garlic bed, does that count for a MINI garlic plantation? LOL Chuckle
(04-13-2019, 10:02 AM)Apache54 Wrote: [ -> ]

I have a 10 ft. X 10 ft. garlic bed, does that count for a MINI garlic plantation? LOL     Chuckle

I should start growing my own garlic, but if you buy one of those trays of cloves of garlic at the grocery store, they are about $3.50 and thats enough for the whole month I find, well at least at taking 4 cloves a day, but I do 6 to 8. I guess it is the allycin in the garlic that prevents alzheimers. I don't really want to get it, I saw my Grandma and Grandpa get it and they weren't the same people after, very sad. It was like their personalities died before their bodies did and they were real nice people.
University of Missouri? Pffft
Garlic is a blood thinner and this allows the blood to filter better, for SOME people because of the blood thinning it will help with Alzheimer's and Dementia, but that is not always the issue causing it. for many people low blood flow to the brain is the problem, but for some it is caused by other issues, so unless you know the culprit it is a good thing to try, and or a preventive measure.

I have a 10 ft. X 10 ft. garlic bed, does that count for a MINI garlic plantation? LOL     Chuckle

Be careful, you may have to pay reparations. Chuckle
(04-13-2019, 03:40 PM)sivil Wrote: [ -> ]

I should start growing my own garlic, but if you buy one of those trays of cloves of garlic at the grocery store, they are about $3.50 and thats enough for the whole month I find, well at least at taking 4 cloves a day, but I do 6 to 8.  I guess it is the allycin in the garlic that prevents alzheimers.  I don't really want to get it, I saw my Grandma and Grandpa get it and they weren't the same people after, very sad.  It was like their personalities died before their bodies did and they were real nice people.

Garlic is easy to grow and you can grow it in flower pots. IF you grow your own you know what it is your using to fertilize it with and there is nothing better than fresh garlic, beats store bought any day. also experiment with a couple of types, they are not all created equal, lol
Pages: 1 2