The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Would you allow an AI voice activated assistant?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
How many of you actually do have these new fangled contraptions. You don't have to talk about it, but if so...why? I only see the downside, so would never. I don't even have a voice remote the dish company wants to give me for free. Hiding3
Those things are worse than Facebook for privacy. If that's possible
I find the assistants to be handy for some stuff, like you can ask it to plot on gps directions to a place, or it will text for you while you are driving, you can just tell it the message to send, that makes driving safer I think since some dummy almost ran into me with his truck while he was texting. You can ask it to play a particular song. The Alexa I keep in the kitchen, I get it to play songs while I'm doing chores. If you hook it up to spotify or amazon music then you can ask it to play songs for you, or shuffle your favorite artist. That assistant has a built in speaker and it sounds as good as a radio to me. If you are concerned about your IOT (Internet of Things) being taken over, there are hardware firewalls that you can buy. Then the script kiddies can't do shit.
Survived this long without it
eye do not need it

since all we need are a voice sniplets to
generate a complete  false voice chat song

Lmao
No, I'm just not that stupid
The Echoes are kinda fun. I use the one in the kitchen the most. Add this to my shopping list, set timer for 35 minutes, how many ounces in a pound, what is one kilogram of flour and things like that. We have some of our Hue lights set up to them. Bathroom heater setup to it. The most fun is to go around to each one and make it play something different like two to play thunder storm sounds, two to play rain sound, two to play night sounds and so on and so forth. Then set the lights to slightly different colors throughout the house.

We do understand how they could be used for harm so there are things we don’t talk about, write things down or mouth words. We are fully ready to ditch them at a moments notice though.
Nope.
I'm far too paranoid.

Hiding3
I've been talking to a voice that I keep hearing for years.

Has been of no help at all.
(04-11-2019, 07:06 PM)PickleSnout Wrote: [ -> ]How many of you actually do have these new fangled contraptions. You don't have to talk about it, but if so...why? I only see the downside, so would never. I don't even have a voice remote the dish company wants to give me for free. Hiding3

Not me. A couple of years ago, I purchased a new ROKU codec. It had a microphone embedded in it so you could give it voice commands.

I removed the cover and cut the wires to the small condenser microphone.

It freaked out and started bothering me with warnings. It still would navigate channels.

I soldered a small resistor across the two microphone wires to simulate the resistive load the microphone would have provided.

The warnings went away and it is happy.

So am I, no one is listening to me.
(04-11-2019, 09:54 PM)LucyBarnable Wrote: [ -> ]Nope.
I'm far too paranoid.

Hiding3

Hiding
Pages: 1 2 3