The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: The Theory of Epigenetics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Epigenetic theory is a principle expounded on by psychologist Erik Erikson that claims that personality develops in eight predetermined stages. This theory draws heavily upon some of Sigmund Freud's theories concerning the superego, ego and id.
Erikson's theory outlined eight stages of personality development, arguing that each stage depended on reaching a balance between concepts. The concepts for each stage were trust versus mistrust, autonomy versus shame or doubt, initiative versus guilt, industry versus inferiority, identity versus role confusion, intimacy versus isolation, generativity versus stagnation and integrity versus despair.

Cite: https://www.reference.com/world-view/epi...169b9cafc0

Perhaps the main point for epigenetics is that without the right genetics (coding sequences) there will be no epigenetics. This does need to be made clear—genetics and epigenetics are not alternatives (see later). So I am not yet convinced that “epigenetics” (as suggested in fig. 1 of Skinner 2015) is really more fundamental/basic that genomes and DNA sequences. There is now good evidence for several aspects of epigenetics in all the main subgroups of eukaryotes (Penny et al. 2014); though we do need some additional information to increase our confidence here. So maybe the figure 1 of Skinner just needs updating? There is no evidence whether genetics (sequences) or epigenetics came first—though that does not seem to inhibit strongly held beliefs.
So first, epigenetics depends on having the right genetics—the right enzymes, so in that sense it is part of genetics and inheritance. For example, without the ability to methylate cytosine, or to modify histones (in eukaryotes), epigenetics as we know it would not be possible. In a recent publication (Penny et al. 2014) we point this out, and suggest that epigenetics must at least be a general (ancestral) feature of eukaryotes. Epigenetics includes methylation (of both DNA and histones), acetylation, and phosphorylation. One of the main uncertainties in eukaryotes has been the Excavates as to whether they had epigenetics, but some aspects (especially acetylation) certainly appear to occur in the Excavate group, such as in Giardia (Sonda et al. 2010), and histone lysine acetylation plays an essential role in regulating the life cycle from cyst to trophozoite. Acetylation has also been characterized in Plasmodium (Trenholme et al. 2014) and Entamoeba (Ramakrishnan et al. 2004). DNA methylation is known in many diverse eukaryotes from mammals to nematodes to ciliates, where methylation and hydroxymethylation are involved in DNA elimination (summarized in Yi 2012). Devanapally et al. (2015) have now identified ds-RNA going into the germ-line, and there are interesting developments (Jiméneza et al. 2015) about circuits of interactions of proteins. Davis et al. (2013) have shown that bacterial cells also have epigenetics, but still we must have the right genetics in order to have epigenetics. So I certainly agree with Skinner (2015) that epigenetics must always be considered in inheritance, and so we are still learning about heredity (including epigenetics).

Cite: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4494054/

The alterntive to preformation is epigenesis. We owe the term to Aristotle, who used the example of making a net as an analogy of how epigenesis generates organisms rather than preforming them. Indeed, with the benefit of hindsight we can now see that this was a wonderfully apt analogy, given the fact that DNA spells out instructions for stringing together amino acids, whose patterns of folding determine many of the characteristics of the proteins they form. Looked at this way, you could indeed see the organism as a tightly woven net of proteins. Certainly, this view is much more accurate than that of seeing it as material which has been printed from a ready-made template as preformationism did. Think of the difference between a woven tartan and a printed one: the former corresponds to epigenesis, the latter to preformation.
The blank slate dogma of development, so popular in the twentieth century as a denial of genetics, was also preformationist in the sense that it saw the child’s mind as imprinted material—certainly not as woven in any sense. Furthermore, preformationist caricatures of development like that quoted just now in relation to innate sex differences also served DNA denial because they made the counter claims of genetics seem absurd.
But single genes can and do determine complex features of entire organisms. A single gene, SRY, determines sex in mammals, not by listing and specifying every aspect in which one sex differs from the other in the adult organism, but by switching development away from the female route it would otherwise follow and into the male one.

Source: Wikimedia commons
Indeed, a single gene can even determine the pattern of coloring of an entire animal. A good example is seen in Siamese cats, whose ears, faces, paws and tails are normally dark, while the remainder is lighter colored. The preformationist view would suggest that if this were the result of the cat’s DNA, it would have to contain some kind of map or diagram of where the melanin that makes for darker colour should be expressed during development—the genetic equivalent of painting-by-numbers. But the truth is that only a single gene is required: one that determines that the expression of melanin should be subject to ambient temperature. Where the skin of the animal is normally colder—the extremities—more melanin is expressed than in the warmer, central areas, resulting in the observed pattern of coloration.
There are even cases where sex is determined by temperature. Much the same gene as SRY is involved, but in the case of crocodiles and turtles its expression has been linked to ambient temperature, just like the expression of melanin in Siamese cats. Such findings might suggest that the often-heard cliché about environment or nurture being equally as important as nature or DNA in determining outcomes is true, but the fact that the mechanism works in opposite ways in crocodiles and turtles proves the contrary.

Cite: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/...pigenetics
From my Bio page:

☯ * 3. Established In The Group By The Intelligentsia:
They are the 'Epigenetically Altered Individuals' that you should associate with. They are a group of individuals who interact with one another also sharing similar interests. When enough of them are gathered together, it is awesomely electrifying and stimulating beyond normal understanding. Unbelievable occurrences and unexplainable phenomenon are the order of the day and rule of the night. One need only be there to understand. I'm talking about the gathering of great and superior minds.

Point Being: Genes and Genetics are never set in stone and can and will usually be influenced and even altered by the environment they are placed in. Thus, 'Epigenetically Altered Individuals.' ~cm ✡
(04-03-2019, 06:37 PM)CrypticMole Wrote: [ -> ]From my Bio page:

They are the 'Epigenetically Altered Individuals' that you should associate with. They are a group of individuals who interact with one another also sharing similar interests. When enough of them are gathered together, it is awesomely electrifying and stimulating beyond normal understanding. Unbelievable occurrences and unexplainable phenomenon are the order of the day and rule of the night. One need only be there to understand. I'm talking about the gathering of great and superior minds.

Point Being: Genes and Genetics are never set in stone and can and will usually be influenced and even altered by the environment they are placed in. Thus, 'Epigenetically Altered Individuals.' ~cm ✡

1dunno1 can I get an invite to your next meet?
Isn't this place awesome!!!
The Fringe has the best people they think out of the box and at the same time bring forth topics that are not found on other sites ..

Like this thread I would not ever have given this thought . I learned something new today .....
Epigenetics

Thank you
(04-03-2019, 07:28 PM)CSB Wrote: [ -> ]The Fringe has the best people they think out of the box and at the same time bring forth topics that are not found on there sites ..

Like this thread I would not ever have given this thought . I learned something new today .....
Epigenetics

Thank you

Your welcome, have a great day my friend!
Mr. Bruce Lipton is a good verbalist when it comes to Epigenetics. Combining the newer scientific understandings stemming from the fields of Quantum Physics and Epigenetics will undoubtedly bring people to a new outlook on life.

Cryptic Mole mentions epigenetically altered individuals, and one thing he's silently illustrating is that anybody is an epigenetically altered individual through his direct environment. In essence, there is nothing separating you from the individuals he mentioned, aside they've been attuning their minds to these realities for long. Just by hanging here daily on The Fringe and reading and sharing alternative thoughts, you are actively directing the epigenetic alteration of your being. This is epigenetics in a nutshell, reduced to its simplest form. Environment.

Now add quantum entanglement to the mix, where it would seem the changes I apply to my environment would immediately bring forth changes in my neighbor's environment, and the bigger picture just starts poking its nose!

Bruce Lipton - Epigenetics

(04-03-2019, 08:28 PM)sivil Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2019, 07:28 PM)CSB Wrote: [ -> ]The Fringe has the best people they think out of the box and at the same time bring forth topics that are not found on there sites ..

Epigenetics

Thank you

Your welcome, have a great day my friend!

Hugs my friend
(04-03-2019, 08:44 PM)Zireael Wrote: [ -> ]Mr. Bruce Lipton is a good verbalist when it comes to Epigenetics. Combining the newer scientific understandings stemming from the fields of Quantum Physics and Epigenetics will undoubtedly bring people to a new outlook on life.

Cryptic Mole mentions epigenetically altered individuals, and one thing he's silently illustrating is that anybody is an epigenetically altered individual through his direct environment. In essence, there is nothing separating you from the individuals he mentioned, aside they've been attuning their minds to these realities for long. Just by hanging here daily on The Fringe and reading and sharing alternative thoughts, you are actively directing the epigenetic alteration of your being. This is epigenetics in a nutshell, reduced to its simplest form. Environment.

Now add quantum entanglement to the mix, where it would seem the changes I apply to my environment would immediately bring forth changes in my neighbor's environment, and the bigger picture just starts poking its nose!

Bruce Lipton - Epigenetics

This is a good video, thanks!

Heartflowers
(04-03-2019, 06:41 PM)unclelunatic Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2019, 06:37 PM)CrypticMole Wrote: [ -> ]From my Bio page:

1dunno1  can I get an invite to your next meet?

You need to live in the NYC area and have an IQ of 150 or higher.

All of us were raised in a more modern type of Ancient Mystery Schools of Esoterism.

IQ and Intuition can be developed.

As @Zireael has already stated, just coming here and reading increases knowledge and your inner self.

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” ― Nikola Tesla
Pages: 1 2