The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: GM brushed off union concessions before idling Ohio car plant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

The union hall in Lordstown, Ohio, is a hive of confusion, anxiety and anger. Mostly anger.

Three weeks after employees at the town’s General Motors Co. compact car plant assembled their last Chevrolet Cruze, employees are filing into the United Auto Workers Local 1112 hall to sign up for unemployment benefits and try to figure out if they should take a transfer to another GM plant, or wait it out in the one factory most have ever worked and see if it survives.

Union workers are livid that they agreed to make $118 million a year in annual concessions to save the plant in mid 2017, only to have GM effectively threaten to close it down a year and a half later. Unless GM reverses its course, Lordstown will fall victim to the harsh reality that fewer consumers are buying small cars and that Chief Executive Officer Mary Barra is hyper focused on doing business only where GM can earn big returns.

Cite: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...-car-plant

“Everything they asked us to do, we did,” said Dan Morgan, the shop chairman of Local 1112 and chief negotiator of the agreement, the details of which haven’t previously been reported. “And still, we don’t have a product to build.”
GM idled the plant in March saying demand for the Cruze was too weak to continue. In an email, GM spokesman Dan Flores said the union agreed to many concessions, but that they didn’t address the realities the company faces.

The problem isn’t high wages, it’s falling sales -- and GM’s post-bankruptcy cash flow discipline. “We didn’t discontinue the Cruze because of something the local union did or didn’t do,” Flores wrote. “It was a market-driven decision to discontinue the Cruze, and there were no products to allocate to Lordstown.”

Harsh Reality
The union disagrees the Cruze was a loser and thinks their concessions merit adding another product to the plant, perhaps one being built in Mexico. Of the 38 models GM sold in the U.S., only five did more volume than the roughly 143,000 Cruzes delivered last year. But sedans no longer command much of a premium as car buyers shun them in favor of crossovers, SUVs and trucks. And even at the peak of the Cruze’s popularity, profit margins were thin.
“It’s the reality of the marketplace,” said Ron Harbour, a global automotive manufacturing consultant at Oliver Wyman. “With small cars, margins are razor thin so if you go down to one shift, no one can make money.”

The plant’s future will be decided in talks later this year, when GM and the UAW hammer out a new four-year labor deal. President Donald Trump has weighed in, giving GM heat with a demand to reopen the factory or sell it to someone who will. At a rally Thursday in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Trump gave the company kudos for investing in an electric-car plant in the state, but the praise didn’t last long.
“General Motors did just announce a $300 million dollar investment at its Orion assembly plant here in Michigan,” Trump said. “But I’m also fighting with General Motors and the UAW to take swift action on the GM plants at Hamtramck and Warren, Michigan, and Lordstown, Ohio. Get the damn plants open.”
At stake in Lordstown are the livelihoods of more than 1,400 plant workers and thousands more indirect jobs in the surrounding area of northeast Ohio, a key swing state in presidential elections. Married couple Mark and Sherry Pratt are worried about what’s in store for them, as both have been laid off after more than a decade each working at the plant.

Cite: https://www.newsmax.com/Finance/streetta...id/909316/
I can tell you right now the Union Leaders stuffed their pants...and sold those folks down the river...
(03-30-2019, 11:21 AM)Wingsprint Wrote: [ -> ]I can tell you right now the Union Leaders stuffed their pants...and sold those folks down the river...

And hoisted a few too...
This is what Obama-halfwit Democrats don't understand:

The plant’s future will be decided in talks later this year, when GM and the UAW hammer out a new four-year labor deal. President Donald Trump has weighed in, giving GM heat with a demand to reopen the factory or sell it to someone who will.

If GM had been allowed to go Bankrupt, this plant was an asset that would have been sold off to a profitable automaker. There would have been huge turmoil in 2009 when it happened, but instead of having an 8 year stagnation, the economy would have recovered and [most] of these people would have been working for KIA or Toyota or somebody that makes a profit on the cars they sell.

The Union paid for Obama, these workers voted for Obama over Romney because of this issue, and now they are reaping what they sowed. They got another 10 years of inflated wages because of their union, but now they screwed.

I don't feel sorry for them.
Here is a different train of thought, This country started down a Path of demise when our government allowed foreign companies to enter the business of the USA, Had we kept our country on track for "make and sell" here, this would be a whole different issue. keeping our country self sustaining which was against ALL the UN crap and would have raised other issues, would have been the best path for us, NOW we are owned by every Tom, Dick and Harry in the world. We would be a completely different country today. and a much better country for it.
What I don't like is that you guys saved GM by diverting them money from the American Government and then they don't keep their word and try to leave the country, when it was game over if it wasn't for you guys.

Goods that were made in America were far better quality than those manufactured in China and while they cost a bit more, at least they would last for years.

What I have noticed is that if a company is failing and the government steps in, then that is the time to buy the stock. I should have listened to myself and bought Air Canada when it was failing. The stock price went to under a buck back then I think. Then the government gave them money and they became profitable again and the shares went up. This is the same thing that happened with GM. So this is a pattern. When the government helps out the stock goes up.