The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Walmart greeter with cerebral palsy laid off.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Vancouver Walmart greeter with cerebral palsy laid off due to policy change.

[Image: ZUkRuuv.jpg]

John Combs has cerebral palsy and travels in a wheelchair. But he’s still able to work as a Walmart Supercenter greeter at Southeast 192nd Avenue, a job he loves and has held for more than two years.

The 42-year-old Combs, however, was told this week that he will be laid off because of a new company policy that is affecting disabled Walmart greeters nationwide.

The policy requires people in his role to be able to stand for an eight-hour shift and be able to lift up to 25 pounds. The company’s policy change has shocked and infuriated Combs’ family and supporters who thus far have been unsuccessful in obtaining details from the retailing giant about the change.

A manager in the store told Combs on Monday his job had been reclassified and that he would be laid off April 25, said his sister, Rachel Wasser of Vancouver. The news upset her brother.

“He’s devastated,” Wasser said. “Pretty tearful. He’s asking me, ‘What am I going to do? Will I just sit at home every day?’ He’s devastated.”

A Walmart spokesperson issued a statement Friday to The Columbian saying it’s possible Combs could be reassigned within the store. Neither Wasser, nor the “job coach” assigned to Combs by a job placement agency, however, say that possibility has not yet been mentioned to Combs.

“We recognize this is a unique situation, and it will take time to explore possible solutions,” the Walmart statement says. “As we phase the greeter role out of this store over a 60-day period, our store management and local human resource teams will be in regular contact with John as he explores every available option to him.

“We’re committed to always providing our customers with a positive and safe shopping experience, and we know there isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution to staffing our entrances and serving customers. We look at the data from each store individually to structure the appropriate door coverage.”

Combs is in a wheelchair and has limited use of his left hand and has difficulty speaking, Wasser said.

More at...

https://www.columbian.com/news/2019/feb/...cy-change/
(02-26-2019, 08:20 AM)Papa Clutch Wrote: [ -> ]Combs is in a wheelchair and has limited use of his left hand and has difficulty speaking, Wasser said.

Someone with difficulty speaking sounds like a perfect candidate for GREETER.
Facepalm
(02-26-2019, 08:29 AM)Kadosh Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-26-2019, 08:20 AM)Papa Clutch Wrote: [ -> ]Combs is in a wheelchair and has limited use of his left hand and has difficulty speaking, Wasser said.

Facepalm

Well at least he’s been doing it for years!

It better to have worked & lossed than never have worked at all!

~mc~

(02-26-2019, 08:20 AM)Papa Clutch Wrote: [ -> ]Vancouver Walmart greeter with cerebral palsy laid off due to policy change.

[Image: ZUkRuuv.jpg]

John Combs has cerebral palsy and travels in a wheelchair. But he’s still able to work as a Walmart Supercenter greeter at Southeast 192nd Avenue, a job he loves and has held for more than two years.

The 42-year-old Combs, however, was told this week that he will be laid off because of a new company policy that is affecting disabled Walmart greeters nationwide.

The policy requires people in his role to be able to stand for an eight-hour shift and be able to lift up to 25 pounds. The company’s policy change has shocked and infuriated Combs’ family and supporters who thus far have been unsuccessful in obtaining details from the retailing giant about the change.

A manager in the store told Combs on Monday his job had been reclassified and that he would be laid off April 25, said his sister, Rachel Wasser of Vancouver. The news upset her brother.

“He’s devastated,” Wasser said. “Pretty tearful. He’s asking me, ‘What am I going to do? Will I just sit at home every day?’ He’s devastated.”

A Walmart spokesperson issued a statement Friday to The Columbian saying it’s possible Combs could be reassigned within the store. Neither Wasser, nor the “job coach” assigned to Combs by a job placement agency, however, say that possibility has not yet been mentioned to Combs.

“We recognize this is a unique situation, and it will take time to explore possible solutions,” the Walmart statement says. “As we phase the greeter role out of this store over a 60-day period, our store management and local human resource teams will be in regular contact with John as he explores every available option to him.

“We’re committed to always providing our customers with a positive and safe shopping experience, and we know there isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution to staffing our entrances and serving customers. We look at the data from each store individually to structure the appropriate door coverage.”

Combs is in a wheelchair and has limited use of his left hand and has difficulty speaking, Wasser said.

More at...

https://www.columbian.com/news/2019/feb/...cy-change/

Poor guy :(
Thats not right
Sam . . . You tried and did pretty good . No Alcohol , No Tobacco , always with the largest Farmer Overalls available , on the shelf . American Made Exclusively . Open to Local Producers . You helped launch a number of small businesses by being their first Retail Outlet .

Family and Corporate after Your Passing . . . Not so Much .

Within weeks it was Bring It Home To America ! Instead of American Made . Beer , Wine , Hooch and Tobacco galore . Predatory business practices that even SEARS & ROEBUCK shunned . You bastards would locally Loss Lead primary consumer goods below Mom and Pop ' s must have Retailing till the little stores down the street failed . Then back up with Your prices . And often above Retailing Guidelines .

Hell , when the business got large enough to set it ' s own Buy Offer Pricing , it effected American Stainless Steel Manufacturers . Took so much Nickle out of the alloy the crap rusts .

An American Success Story .

Full Throttle

Sadly, Most people are actually offended by someone with a speech impediment, use of only one arm, and sitting in a wheelchair, Trying to stammer out a greeting to them at Wallmart.
Wow, its hard enough for disabled people to get a job, they can only work part time, only so many hours, earn so much money, and it blocks them from some opportunities, then these companies change their policies to have to lift 25 pounds and stand for 8 hours? Many disabled people can't do this so they won't be able to keep their jobs anymore. Walmart has been good to hire disabled people but this policy change is going to make it so many disabled people can no longer work there. They say they will reasign them and I hope they do.

I like to shop at Walmart, i usually go there when they first open but it sucks cause then you have to use self checkout. I usually refuse to use it so that I can save millions of cashier jobs if we all do this. Tell these billionaires why should we work for them for free? This is their goal now it seems like, you drive to their store, shop for stuff and then you are supposed to cashier yourself out? Why? So they don't have to pay someone to serve you.
That's down right Cruel....I fucking Hate Walmart and try every way to not go in there...
(02-26-2019, 08:29 AM)Kadosh Wrote: [ -> ]

Facepalm

Wal Mart has been letting disabled workers do that job for 30 years, this is wrong. I would imagine the regular shoppers like this man and are used to him greeting them at the door when they come in. Someone needs to find this guy a cool new job, Wal Mart sucks.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6