The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Do You Need "Free" Books?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Code:
http://xfmro77i3lixucja.onion/

i'm not saying downloading them is legal but you might want to check them out anyway. all you need is a tor browser. and maybe tails os if you want to be really hardcore.

Full Throttle

(01-12-2019, 09:32 AM)PinkInside Wrote: [ -> ]
Code:
http://xfmro77i3lixucja.onion/

i'm not saying downloading them is legal but you might want to check them out anyway. all you need is a tor browser. and maybe tails os if you want to be really hardcore.

Yeah3 Chuckle Rockon
As an author who loses revenue to online "sharing," I find it somewhat disreputable when people toss out links to illicit book downloads. If you want people to continue writing books, continue paying for them.
(01-12-2019, 12:27 PM)Mulciber Wrote: [ -> ]As an author who loses revenue to online "sharing," I find it somewhat disreputable when people toss out links to illicit book downloads. If you want people to continue writing books, continue paying for them.

people keep paying for books if they're good (and not overpriced).
is your book listed on that site?
no?
you can continue writing. Chuckle
(01-12-2019, 12:27 PM)Mulciber Wrote: [ -> ]As an author who loses revenue to online "sharing," I find it somewhat disreputable when people toss out links to illicit book downloads. If you want people to continue writing books, continue paying for them.

another thing you should consider is the following: open source software.

tons of software developing companies rely on open source software in their products. if a company relies on your work they're going to donate to your cause because they want to keep the open source software you wrote cutting edge.

another case that is probably more related to your situation is the case of "day by day armageddon". as far as i know it started out as "open source" book online. it gained traction and finally has been bought by a publisher.

Quote:Bourne's online project soon turned into a self-published book, and as his cult following grew into more mainstream success, he was eventually added to Simon & Schuster's stable of writers.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/m...new-novel/

people loved it and therefore have been willing to buy a copy. the persons who never spent a dime on the book most likely would have never bought it in the first place. 1dunno1
the author probably made more money by publishing his book online "for free" than by publishing it in a more traditional way.

edit: and yes i'm one of the guys who bought his books. Chuckle i'm a huge fan. Rofl

Yeah, I create a lot of intellectual property in my work. People are constantly trying to lift anything they can find. We had to begin storing our dumpster inside the building, it was hit so many times.

The most angering was, a group of students from the local university at my door, DEMANDING larger files of my stuff that my agent had posted on his website as samples. They told me, I was preventing them from getting an education if I didn't turn over files.

Fuckem.
(01-12-2019, 12:38 PM)PinkInside Wrote: [ -> ]

no?

I dont know if my work is on there, since I don't have a Tor browser. There are several other sites that have it.

The good and decent people do continue to buy my books, which are not bad altogether, but they are the minority. Most people want free stuff, which means publishing pays less, leading to people like me deciding to do other things besides writing for the benefit of thieves with my valuable time.

Some excellent TH White never made it to digital, neither did some Edgar Rice Burroughs. Paperless reading leaves out a huge selection of literature, and overall I find that people skim rather than read on a device.

You try it. Write 300+ pages on any topic, and try to do it well. Don't just imagine, actually do it. Now tell me you think it's OK to give it away for free.
(01-12-2019, 02:29 PM)Mulciber Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-12-2019, 12:38 PM)PinkInside Wrote: [ -> ]

no?

I dont know if my work is on there, since I don't have a Tor browser. There are several other sites that have it.

The good and decent people do continue to buy my books, which are not bad altogether, but they are the minority. Most people want free stuff, which means publishing pays less, leading to people like me deciding to do other things besides writing for the benefit of thieves with my valuable time.

Some excellent TH White never made it to digital, neither did some Edgar Rice Burroughs. Paperless reading leaves out a huge selection of literature, and overall I find that people skim rather than read on a device.

You try it. Write 300+ pages on any topic, and try to do it well. Don't just imagine, actually do it. Now tell me you think it's OK to give it away for free.

i wanted to but nobody was interested. 1dunno1 popnana

Lol
https://the-fringe.com/thread-how_to_tame_dragons