The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Survival Chow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sure you have Granola Bars and Trail Mix but that will not keep you alive forever.
Here is a recipe for a good, sustainable short term chow.

1 cup of White rice
1 cup of powdered milk
1 cup of sugar

This actually tastes good and gives a carb boost with the sugar. Can be pre-mixed and put in zip lock bags and simply is cooked with 2 cups of boiling water.
This is not a long term survival food, but it is good for a week or so.
what would the shelf life on this mixture be if simply placed/kept and mixed together in a ziplock bag ?
(01-11-2019, 04:09 AM)Winter Steelheader Wrote: [ -> ]what would the shelf life on this mixture be if simply placed/kept and mixed together in a ziplock bag ?

I don't know - maybe 1 or 2 months. However, if you get one of those vaccume sealers it could last a year or two.
what do you think, about 7 to 8 minutes stirring occasionally in 2 cups of boiling water or so ?

I think I'll try this my next fishing trip. Sounds good.

I think adding some dried berries would be fantastic as well. Perhaps dried cranberries with some crushed hazel nut ?
Put cinnamon in your kit. This will be survival rice puddin.
(01-11-2019, 04:17 AM)Winter Steelheader Wrote: [ -> ]what do you think, about 7 to 8 minutes stirring occasionally in 2 cups of boiling water or so ?

I think I'll try this my next fishing trip. Sounds good.

I think adding some dried berries would be fantastic as well. Perhaps dried cranberries with some crushed hazel nut ?

Maybe some crispy crumbled bacon (not that you would have it in a SHTF situation)
Basically what the recipe makes is a rice pudding....
But berries, wild leeks and pine nuts can only kick it up.
good thread and we need more ideas!
Going into 2012 I had stalked a bunch of can goods when I lived in same house with wife.
Well 2012 came and went and now whenever I go over my wife's to cook I have to be careful and check the dates on can goods.
SHe has stuff expired from 2013-2014 still lol.

I keep telling her to throw that shit out
(01-11-2019, 12:24 PM)Nekro Wrote: [ -> ]Going into 2012 I had stalked a bunch of can goods when I lived in same house with wife.
Well 2012 came and went and now whenever I go over my wife's to cook I have to be careful and check the dates on can goods.

my gram died in 2015.. we helped my papa clean up and organize all her stuff.

we were throwing away can from the 1990's Facepalm Chuckle
(01-11-2019, 12:26 PM)~mc~ Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-11-2019, 12:24 PM)Nekro Wrote: [ -> ]Going into 2012 I had stalked a bunch of can goods when I lived in same house with wife.

my gram died in 2015.. we helped my papa clean up and organize all her stuff.

we were throwing away can from the 1990's  Facepalm  Chuckle

thats 25 year old can goods Jptdknpa

sorry for your loss.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8