The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Poor Health To Healthiness - Tell Us How You Did It
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you have been in really bad health and have come back from that to be very healthy, we want to hear your story and how you did it. What food you ate. What you drank. What supplements you used. What vitamins you took. What exercise you did. Tell us how you got healthy again.

As most of you know, my breathing and health has been crap since Dec 2017. Severe asthma and several bouts of pneumonia last years have left me in seriously de-conditioned state. Already before this all happened I was very out of shape and overweight so this just made a bad situation that much worse!!! Sad thing was I had already lost 30 lbs and was walking and climbing my basement stairs to get in shape before this happened. Gained all that back plus 30 more lbs because of the nasty steroids.

Knowing what to take, eat and do is becoming so overwhelming that I have once again given up. Need to hear your stories. Need to know what to do like a baby. Chuckle \
I am sure there are many others that could benefit from a thread on health and how to reclaim what has been destroyed!!!
(01-09-2019, 05:59 PM)WhiteAngel Wrote: [ -> ]If you have been in really bad health and have come back from that to be very healthy, we want to hear your story and how you did it. What food you ate.  What you drank.  What supplements you used.  What vitamins you took.  What exercise you did.   Tell us how you got healthy again.

As most of you know, my breathing and health has been crap since Dec 2017.  Severe asthma and several bouts of pneumonia last years have left me in seriously de-conditioned state.  Already before this all happened I was very out of shape and overweight so this just made a bad situation that much worse!!!  Sad thing was I had already lost 30 lbs and was walking and climbing my basement stairs to get in shape before this happened.  Gained all that back plus 30 more lbs because of the nasty steroids.  

Knowing what to take, eat and do is becoming so overwhelming that I have once again given up.  Need to hear your stories.  Need to know what to do like a baby.   Chuckle \
I am sure there are many others that could benefit from a thread on health and how to reclaim what has been destroyed!!!

Hi White Angel. Can you share a little bit more, like what type foods you eat, daily, weekly, whatever, do you take any supplements, and if so, which ones? Do you tend to skip them..

It sounds like you are or were on steroids, but do you take any other prescription meds daily? I'm not sure if that will matter, not for me but someone else trying to help. And regardless of what someone might say, many medicines are needed, I do understand that.

Hopefully this thread will get responses that can help you gain back your health!! Heartflowers

Twaddle seems to be very knowledgeable about supplements, vitamins, minerals, herbs, etc. Hopefully she can assist you in a proper regiment.

Do you have any chronic conditions besides those stated? Any odd numbers on blood tests?
I was on prednisone 10 mg daily plus mega bursts when a severe asthma attack happen(s). Stopped taking it before Christmas as the side effects were getting worse and the weight gain was/is killing me.

Still on Symbicort 160/4.5, which is the strongest inhaled steroid, which I can't seem to get off. Also on Spiriva inhaled which is non-steroid. Lots and lots of Albuterol used mostly with a nebulizer as it works better for me. And Duoneb, which I believe also contains a steroid.

I went off all meds and supplements except the asthma ones (gotta breath) also before Christmas. Was taking hand fulls of vitamins and supplements and wasn't sure what was making me feel worse and worse. Huge amounts of edema - cardiologist put me on Lasix and lost 26 pounds in 48 hours.

Singulair for allergies??
Prilosec for "silent" GERD
Diltiazem for mild A-fib. Only have two moderate spells twice a year - Jan and July and no I do not know why that happens. I take this a few other times a year when palpitations are happening more than a few times a week.

The only supplement I am taking at the moment is magnesium 250 or 500 mg nightly. This is used to stay regular because of IBS-C and the use of percocet from time to time for bad back pain.

When I was taking supplements and vitamins here is the list:

D3 10,000-20,000 iu daily (had d levels of 8 that dropped to 2 when only taking 5,000)
K2
Super B-complex
B12
CoQ10
Omega 3
Turmeric caps, plus a tea made with mullein, turmeric and black pepper
(most supplements are by Natures Way)

I have tried and tried Keto only to fail miserably. My diet is horrible, lots of cheese, bread, potatoes and junk food, especially just coming off the holidays. Starting to eat better now, but not going to blow smoke this time, facts are my diet sucks. Will keep some pride and only say I need to lose 100+ lbs.

Can't exercise because I can't breath but have been trying to go to the basement once a day at least. Back pain is horrific and that might be helped soon with radio frequency ablation for SI joints, then they will work on my mid back pain.

National Jewish (leading lung hospital in the world) is where I am going now. Their concerns for me are: severe asthma, severe shortness of breath upon exertion, obesity, and sleep apnea (have to go in for an overnight study - that was based on a home study).

Almost forgot; on Nucala, a biologic for severe eosinophilic asthma.

I think this is all.
There were a few borderline blood test issues but waiting on doctor to advise as they might be related to the steroid usage. My only real concern is a low Total Protein level, and a few others that a mildly low which lean towards metabolic disorder/syndrome - not diagnosed yet.
(01-09-2019, 07:50 PM)WhiteAngel Wrote: [ -> ]There were a few borderline blood test issues but waiting on doctor to advise as they might be related to the steroid usage.  My only real concern is a low Total Protein level, and a few others that a mildly low which lean towards metabolic disorder/syndrome - not diagnosed yet.

Hopefully others will respond with helpful advice. One thing I can suggest is Sparkpeoplecom. It's free, if you want to get involved with all of the social stuff, great. It's great even on your own for giving encouragement to losing weight, or gaining for that matter. They have a program that you list what you eat, how much etc., and at the end of the day it lets you know if you got enough protein, magnesium,etc, about everything our bodies require, a long list that you choose from, and you can get a feel of what your body isn't getting enough of, and of course find foods to fill that gap. Our health CAN be improved by what we eat, and often it's not what the books and doctors push as I'm sure you know. But knowing what we aren't getting from our food, and fixing that part is empowering!

I'm going to bed, but will check back to see if any others have suggestions. Heartflowers
(01-09-2019, 09:08 PM)Sami Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-09-2019, 07:50 PM)WhiteAngel Wrote: [ -> ]There were a few borderline blood test issues but waiting on doctor to advise as they might be related to the steroid usage.  My only real concern is a low Total Protein level, and a few others that a mildly low which lean towards metabolic disorder/syndrome - not diagnosed yet.

Hopefully others will respond with helpful advice. One thing I can suggest is Sparkpeoplecom. It's free, if you want to get involved with all of the social stuff, great. It's great even on your own for giving encouragement to losing weight, or gaining for that matter.  They have a program that you list what you eat, how much  etc., and at the end of the day it lets you know if you got enough protein, magnesium,etc, about everything our bodies require, a long list that you choose from, and you can get a feel of what your body isn't getting enough of, and of course find foods to fill that gap. Our health CAN be improved by what we eat, and often it's not what the books and doctors push as I'm sure you know. But knowing what we aren't getting from our food, and fixing that part is  empowering!

I'm going to bed, but will check back to see if any others have suggestions.   Heartflowers

Thank you Sami
Angel, you know what I went through. 10 years of hell. First things first, how is walking for you? Mega important. Heartflowers
(01-09-2019, 09:30 PM)bigD111 Wrote: [ -> ]Angel, you know what I went through.  10 years of hell.  First things first, how is walking for you?  Mega important.   Heartflowers

It is hell. Sometimes just walking down the hall and I am out of breath. Other times I have managed to stroll (very slow walk) through a store without panting like an animal. It is getting better, since I am not completely confined to the couch all the time.

Is walking first on my list?
Is this the other threads doppelganger? Which one is real? They both look identical. 1dunno1
Pages: 1 2