The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Does anyone heat their house with a torpedo heater?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

These things are made for construction sites, and they make a bit of smell, but not much. They put out enormous heat that's good if the wood stove is not enough, or you run out of dry wood.

Yes, some folks call them dangerous, but so what. Freezing is worse.

Anyone else using these or thinking about it?

I borrowed one of these and it works well. Much cheaper than turning on the furnace.
No. You are correct, they are dangerous and the fumes could kill you. It would be wiser to invest in an indoor propane heater like a Big Buddy that has a low oxygen shut-off.

Quote:Does anyone heat their house with a torpedo heater?

The only thing I can think of like that would be a room full of guests that just ate a boatload of heavily hot jalapeno beans.  Those stink torpedoes would keep the whole house warm for hours.

(01-02-2019, 12:36 PM)Guest Wrote: [ -> ]

The only thing I can think of like that would be a room full of guests that just ate a boatload of heavily hot jalapeno beans.  Those stink torpedoes would keep the whole house warm for hours.

LOL! With temps in the single digits for a week and snow outside, I'd rather live with a stench than be cold. I turn it off at night and when I wake up from the cold, I turn it on until it's hot again. The weather is unusually cold, so I'll probably just go back to the woodstove when it gets above freezing again.
If you’re willing to die from carbon monoxide poisoning and then be taken to the morgue smelling like jet exhaust go for it .
They are illegal to use in your home or a lived in residence. Only allowed for construction purposes. Fumes are dangerous. Even worse than turning on your gas stove to heat your home. I know this because me and my son own and operate a very large construction company here in NYC. (I'm no longer a partner as I have sold my half of the business to him) Some states even require special permits and even insurance to use them. If you use them for heat in your home, you are foolish. Many have died doing so. If you have children, you had better think twice! Don't think for one moment that propane or kerosene is clean and safe because they're not! They also burn off all the oxygen in a confined area when the windows are closed off. Faster than can be replaced. That's why when we used them in construction even with no heat, we needed to leave windows cracked open. New homes being built these days are more energy efficient as the windows are air-tight. That's a huge problem for those heaters. Older homes, not as bad, but still deadly!

Don't be fvcking stupid!

just sayin'.
(01-02-2019, 12:11 PM)Guest Wrote: [ -> ]These things are made for construction sites, and they make a bit of smell, but not much.  They put out enormous heat that's good if the wood stove is not enough, or you run out of dry wood.

Yes, some folks call them dangerous, but so what.  Freezing is worse.

Anyone else using these or thinking about it?

We did for a short time while the electricity was down. We ran out of wood for the wood stove eventually because we were ill prepared for 5 days no power. Had to go buy a generator eventually. So we dragged the rocket in from the barn. I liked it! It worked great!
(01-02-2019, 12:36 PM)Guest Wrote: [ -> ]

It didn’t stink at all. It’s electric.
Maybe mine is different than what you’re talking about. Looks like a cannon. Blows out out a huge amount of heat. About 4 or 5 feet long.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5