The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Gold Prospecting In Oregon......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Does any one know of any good or rumored to be good areas to prospect for gold in Oregon. While we are at it, any old legends or weird stores to go along with this topic? My dad once told me he saw big foot while hiking around Eugene when I was about two years old. Dad was known for some whoppers but was not known to lie.

John

EDIT: I have a place in Florence Oregon. On the coast above Coos-Bay and below Newport about an hour and fifteen from Eugene.
(11-15-2018, 11:31 AM)Konaexpress Wrote: [ -> ]Does any alone know of any good or rumored to be good areas to prospect for gold in Oregon. While we are at it, any old legends or weird stores to go along with this topic? My dad once told me he saw big foot while hiking around Eugene when I was about two years old. Dad was known for some whoppers but was not known to lie.

John

starting in the north is the John Day area, then all the way over to Baker city, Sumpter was a biggie,

Then going down to the southern areas, from Jacksonville to Applegate, all the way to the California border
then Gold Hill to to Rouge River (town) and of course most of the rogue river to the ocean at Gold Beach
parts of Roseburg to Merlin to Grants Pass,
These are general areas of proven gold findings, hope this helps. I can be more specific if you want more on a certain area, let me know. I am leaving on a expeditions tomorrow will be gone a few weeks with no type of service, so If you don't hear back, soon that is why. I can give you advice If you need any info on the how to, i spent many years dredging and so can give you lower 48 advice such as angle of sluice and types etc. etc. many key things that can make it worth while.
(11-15-2018, 11:31 AM)Konaexpress Wrote: [ -> ]Does any one know of any good or rumored to be good areas to prospect for gold in Oregon. While we are at it, any old legends or weird stores to go along with this topic? My dad once told me he saw big foot while hiking around Eugene when I was about two years old. Dad was known for some whoppers but was not known to lie.

John

EDIT: I have a place in Florence Oregon. On the coast above Coos-Bay and below Newport about an hour and fifteen from Eugene.

Florence has some and Coos bay has some in the river mouths and of course Gold beach, you are in a gold area, not known as well as others but some is there.
(11-15-2018, 11:53 AM)Apache54 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-15-2018, 11:31 AM)Konaexpress Wrote: [ -> ]Does any one know of any good or rumored to be good areas to prospect for gold in Oregon. While we are at it, any old legends or weird stores to go along with this topic? My dad once told me he saw big foot while hiking around Eugene when I was about two years old. Dad was known for some whoppers but was not known to lie.

John

Florence has some and Coos bay has some in the river mouths and of course Gold beach, you are in a gold area, not known as well as others but some is there.

Nice!

John

My understanding of this is you must found a mountainous area where there are numerous quartz deposits. Find that and you may have found a location where there are gold deposits in the earth.

Quartz is the first indicator that you are in a possible good location.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz
Todd Hoffman is from there and doesn't mine in Oregon so must be just small pockets left in the mountains...

Id just look up old mines and all gold claims from the mining industy there...poke around for an old guy that has some land and do it for the summer..lease or work for percent... probably lots of small spots people are hitting it in...

what about that spot in BC.....British Columbia....Devils canyon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvioQUKRHhU
(11-15-2018, 12:48 PM)phxsparks Wrote: [ -> ]

John

My understanding of this is you must found a mountainous area where there are numerous quartz deposits.  Find that and you may have found a location where there are gold deposits in the earth.

Quartz and cyanide in the water,
(11-15-2018, 07:41 PM)Apache54 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-15-2018, 12:48 PM)phxsparks Wrote: [ -> ]

John

My understanding of this is you must found a mountainous area where there are numerous quartz deposits.  Find that and you may have found a location where there are gold deposits in the earth.

Quartz and cyanide in the water,

"Gold wears an iron hat" - Fools gold "iron pyrite" is the the tell, dig deeper
In Calaveras County CA, my other hood, lots of people pan and dig for gold. Most are hobbyists and come on weekends. There are some serious folks too. You don't want to stumble on a site, unannounced. The serious gold people protect their digs. The Sierra Foothills 3-5K ft, have been Gold Country since the 1850s. We here stories and occasionally see some prospector pull a big nugget out of his pocket for proof.

Snip
Gold in the Calaveras River Today
This is still a very popular area for gold prospectors to search for gold. Most mining is done the same way that it was done by the early miners, by using gold pans and sluice boxes to find placer gold in the rivers and streams that feed into it. Most waters that flow into the Calaveras River will produce some decent gold as will the river itself.

The Calaveras River is in the heart of California’s gold country, and miners can still find good gold here. At the time of this writing, suction dredging is still banned in California, which has severely impacted the amount of placer gold that is being found in the region.

https://www.goldrushnuggets.com/carigo.html
(11-15-2018, 11:49 AM)Apache54 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-15-2018, 11:31 AM)Konaexpress Wrote: [ -> ]Does any alone know of any good or rumored to be good areas to prospect for gold in Oregon. While we are at it, any old legends or weird stores to go along with this topic? My dad once told me he saw big foot while hiking around Eugene when I was about two years old. Dad was known for some whoppers but was not known to lie.

John

starting in the north is the John Day area, then all the way over to Baker city, Sumpter was a biggie,

Then going down to the southern areas, from Jacksonville to Applegate, all the way to the California border
then Gold Hill to to Rouge River (town) and of course most of the rogue river to the ocean at Gold Beach
parts of Roseburg to Merlin to Grants Pass,
These are general areas of proven gold findings, hope this helps. I can be more specific if you want more on a certain area, let me know. I am leaving on a expeditions tomorrow will be gone a few weeks with no type of service, so If you don't hear back, soon that is why. I can give you advice  If you need any info on the how to,  i spent many years dredging and so can give you lower 48 advice such as angle of sluice and types etc. etc. many key things that can make it worth while.
Hey Apache, I am near the dungeoness river mouth. I want to try a bit of prospecting next spring.
I know about inside bends and digging out large boulder pits. We have gravel galore, but I just don't think this area is any much good. Have you heard anything about the straight of Juan de fuca and gold prospecting? Novice panner here.
Pages: 1 2 3 4