The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: We won’t save the Earth with a better kind of disposable coffee cup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We must challenge the corporations that urge us to live in a throwaway society rather than seeking ‘greener’ ways of maintaining the status quo

Do you believe in miracles? If so, please form an orderly queue. Plenty of people imagine we can carry on as we are, as long as we substitute one material for another. Last month, a request to Starbucks and Costa to replace their plastic coffee cups with cups made from corn starch was retweeted 60,000 times, before it was deleted.

Those who supported this call failed to ask themselves where the corn starch would come from, how much land would be needed to grow it, or how much food production it would displace. They overlooked the damage this cultivation would inflict: growing corn (maize) is notorious for causing soil erosion, and often requires heavy doses of pesticides and fertilisers.

The problem is not just plastic: it is mass disposability. Or, to put it another way, the problem is pursuing, on the one planet known to harbour life, a four-planet lifestyle. Regardless of what we consume, the sheer volume of consumption is overwhelming the Earth’s living systems.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...-cup-green
Yeah the little "feel good" efforts won't solve the problem.

Industrial hemp might solve this part of it though.
i wouldnt mind using a cup infused with organic hemp or chiaseeds.
(09-06-2018, 12:24 PM)Luvapottamus Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah the little "feel good" efforts won't solve the problem.

Industrial hemp might solve this part of it though.

Henry Ford made a car body out of hemp, it was almost indestructible.
Why not bring your own coffee cup to the shop and get that filled?

Take it home, clean it, do it again...Easy
Plastic in oceans comes from just ten rivers...

[Image: VvPJt8k.jpg]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...ivers.html
(09-06-2018, 12:58 PM)unclelunatic Wrote: [ -> ]Why not bring your own coffee cup to the shop and get that filled?

i have a contigo thermos. good idea. waste not want not

[Image: Contigo-AUTOSEAL-Stainless-Steel-Thermos...g-16oz.jpg]
(09-06-2018, 01:00 PM)FringeDude Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-06-2018, 12:58 PM)unclelunatic Wrote: [ -> ]Why not bring your own coffee cup to the shop and get that filled?

i have a contigo thermos. good idea. waste not want not

[Image: Contigo-AUTOSEAL-Stainless-Steel-Thermos...g-16oz.jpg]

Yeah3

I don't drink coffee, but I make my matcha drink every morning; ice, water, vanilla syrup, honey, and matcha tea
Shake it up in my blender bottle and take it with me in the morning

I was stupid and use to buy some matcha drink for $5 each, that lasted a month before I got sick of spending all that $$
Now it costs me about $1 a day using my own ingredients
matcha is green tea which i dont like the taste of.
(09-06-2018, 01:03 PM)FringeDude Wrote: [ -> ]matcha is green tea which i dont like the taste of.

1dunno1 It's not for everybody, but I for one enjoy it

I do not like the taste of coffee...So to each their own Heartflowers
Pages: 1 2