The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: ive got a question for LINUX users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
i have been using the live version of linux peppermint because for me, this OS is the easiest out of the rest of the linux family...i want to know if these programs that i have on windows are compatible with linux?

irfanview64
paint.net
bandizip (unzip)
potplayer64 (media player)
winamp (media player)
wisecare 365
opera
vivaldi

Alien Abducted RG

(09-03-2018, 11:05 PM)FringeDude Wrote: [ -> ]i have been using the live version of linux peppermint because for me, this OS is the easiest out of the rest of the linux family...i want to know if these programs that i have on windows are compatible with linux?

irfanview64
paint.net
bandizip (unzip)
winamp (media player)
wisecare 365
opera
vivaldi

Trump

This thread is for those wondering about Linux.  

https://the-fringe.com/thread-freedom_th...ight=linux
(09-03-2018, 11:05 PM)FringeDude Wrote: [ -> ]i have been using the live version of linux peppermint because for me, this OS is the easiest out of the rest of the linux family...i want to know if these programs that i have on windows are compatible with linux?

irfanview64
paint.net
bandizip (unzip)
winamp (media player)
wisecare 365
opera
vivaldi

1dunno1

i found a forum for linux users..will try get on there and ask them directly.

-fringedude going to bed

irfanview64
paint.net
bandizip (unzip)
winamp (media player)
wisecare 365
opera
vivaldi

I haven't used winscum since rabid hackers. Windows is as advertised, a massive window into your PC.

Used to use winamp, now I use Clementine, way better, freeware.

Paint....people still use that?
GIMP, very powerful utility, also freeware. Open source revolution won, their software has less holes and works better. Millions of developers compared to mere hundreds at M$

I use Ubuntu, but have used many of the variations. Freeware. Something for every need...free...better than paid for software and they create fixes quicker than big companies when bugs are found.

VLC plays everything media-wise also freeware Linux compatible.

There is a range of browser.

If M$ everr develop a OS that does not crash and can't be hacked i might go back to them...but that is never going to happen as they have an NSA contract to make those backdoors. IBM has been a US defense contractor since before it was a Nazi contractor in WWII. Nothing they make will ever be secure, quite the opposite.
https://www.winehq.org/

Quote:What is Wine?
Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop.
Facepalm

irfanview64
paint.net
bandizip (unzip)
winamp (media player)
wisecare 365
opera
vivaldi

Uhmm...

Instead of running WINDOWS programs, why not look for LINUX programs that do the same task?

Go to the 'Software Store' in Peppermint ~ or whatever Peppermint uses to offer software/programs.

Once there, select the CATEGORY of software you'd like to review, e.g., Web Browsing/Internet, Vids & music, Graphics, Utilities, etc..

Try the programs ~ Peppermint should offer an easy way to install (Noob distros are kind like that.) and you can see if it suits, if not, try another, or another, etc. all free, no 'limited' functions ~ all yours for the point-click-install.

Don't worry, you won't break anything. Chuckle
(09-04-2018, 04:20 AM)DaJavoo Wrote: [ -> ]

irfanview64
paint.net
bandizip (unzip)
winamp (media player)
wisecare 365
opera
vivaldi

Uhmm...

Instead of running WINDOWS programs, why not look for LINUX programs that do the same task?

Go to the 'Software Store' in Peppermint ~ or whatever Peppermint uses to offer software/programs.

Once there, select the CATEGORY of software you'd like to review, e.g., Web Browsing/Internet, Vids & music, Graphics, Utilities, etc..

Try the programs ~ Peppermint should offer an easy way to install (Noob distros are kind like that.) and you can see if it suits, if not, try another, or another, etc.  all free, no 'limited' functions ~ all yours for the point-click-install.

Don't worry, you won't break anything.   Chuckle

I'm pretty sure he knows that linux has it's own programsChuckle, he was just wondering if those are compatible.

With that said, can't he run all of those using Wine?
(09-04-2018, 04:34 AM)ChillBro Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2018, 04:20 AM)DaJavoo Wrote: [ -> ]

irfanview64
paint.net
bandizip (unzip)
winamp (media player)
wisecare 365
opera
vivaldi

Uhmm...

Try the programs ~ Peppermint should offer an easy way to install (Noob distros are kind like that.) and you can see if it suits, if not, try another, or another, etc.  all free, no 'limited' functions ~ all yours for the point-click-install.

Don't worry, you won't break anything.   Chuckle

I'm pretty sure he knows that linux has it's own programsChuckle, he was just wondering if those are compatible.

With that said, can't he run all of those using Wine?

That said, if he's using Peppermint for 'ease of use' then, I posit that using Wine or a VM is layering on difficulty, eh? In which case, it would be 'easier' to locate a native prog.

Just for a reality check ~ here's the steps to loading/running Wine: https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Wine-on-Linux

(Most new users would NOT be comfy doing all that.)

But mileage may vary with Wine, some progs run fine others not so much ~ ya' just have to try.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8