The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: I could use some diagnostics from auto gurus.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
My diagnostic skills are weak. Absolutely no Kung-Fu there much less weak Kung-Fu.

97 Ford Taurus. Reasonably good shape for the year. All the routine stuff is done routinely. Tires inflated properly about 2 weeks ago.

I took a left out of my driveway. Straightened back up on the road and heard a 'clunk' sound.

After that there was minimal steering, it felt like I was hauling a heavy trailer, and the battery light came on.

No trailer. Just the car. The RPMs stayed the same for the speed and gears in the automatic transmission. It just did not feel right and that's the closest I can come to describing the sensation.

I had to climb my fat ass onto the steering wheel to get the car to turn and my turn radius was slightly less than half of what it should be.

The odd note is the battery light coming on. If it weren't for that, I'd call it ball joint troubles or something like that. The battery light is throwing me for a loop.

I'm probably going to have it towed to a mechanic no matter what the problem is but it'd be nice to know ahead of time so I can figure out how much I'm going to be completely broke and for how long that will last considering I'm on a fixed income.

Full Throttle

Steering pump? You have steering trouble, so, low fluid, steering pump, broken belt. If it has a serpentine belt then that would also cause the battery light to come on because that belt drives everything, including the alternator.
Pop the hood and do a quick check on these few things. Fluid levels in power steering pump, serpentine belt, and or the power steering belt if it has multiple drive belts.
(08-19-2018, 02:41 PM)Full Throttle Wrote: [ -> ]Steering pump?   You have steering trouble, so,  low fluid, steering pump, broken belt. If it has a serpentine belt then that would also cause the battery light to come on because that belt drives everything, including the alternator.
Pop the hood and do a quick check on these few things.   Fluid levels in power steering pump, serpentine belt, and or the power steering belt if it has multiple drive belts.

Yep.
That sounds like (what we call in the UK) your auxiliary drive belt snapped. It drives your alternator to charge your battery (hence battery warning light illuminating) and your power steering pump (so power assisted steering is lost ) making it a right hand full to steer and really stiff. A replacement belt shouldn't be too costly and a doddle to fit buddy
And that would be the issue.

Thanks folks.

Now I need to find a ride to the auto parts store and a helper monkey to bend the way it's going to take to put the new one on.

I am not that flexible anymore and the serpentine drives everything. There isn't much room to work under that hood either. It's a very tight squeeze.
Hey @ARM. Isn't this the greatest place ever? It's better than googl

~mc~

(08-19-2018, 03:28 PM)Angry Red Man Wrote: [ -> ]And that would be the issue.

Thanks folks.

Now I need to find a ride to the auto parts store and a helper monkey to bend the way it's going to take to put the new one on.

I am not that flexible anymore and the serpentine drives everything. There isn't much room to work under that hood either. It's a very tight squeeze.

don't you have kids sitting around staring at a phone that can help you? Chuckle
(08-19-2018, 03:28 PM)Angry Red Man Wrote: [ -> ]And that would be the issue.

Thanks folks.

Don't know about a Taurus but some cars are a pain in the ass to replace the belt.

ABS or NO ABS?

Battery light? Is that a yellow check engine light?
Pages: 1 2 3 4