The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Man's 'cheap and rude' tipping method goes viral
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It should be a rule of thumb — if you can’t afford to tip, you can’t afford to eat out. Many servers, bussers, hosts and kitchen staff depend on tips at the end of the night to help round out what they’re paid hourly, which is typically far below minimum wage. Tipping is not a fun game to get your waiter to work harder, it’s an expected part of dining in the United States. Unfortunately, tipping is frequently linked to server abuse and harassment.

That’s why the internet was so shocked by one Facebook user who decided that tormenting his waitress for her tip was a fun game to play on a night out with his wife. He shared the experience to Facebook, claiming that with his methods you will receive “the best service of your life.”

He explained that at the beginning of the meal, he placed five single dollar bills on the table for the server to see. “Don’t say anything to them,” he wrote. “If they mess up, you take a dollar away and so on. At the end of the dinner, however much is left, is their tip.”

He explained that his waitress kept looking at the money with a puzzled look on her face. He even said he ended up taking a dollar away because she forgot to bring the table bread, but that she brought extra bread later so he put the dollar back. “Haha all in all a great evening with my love and a good dinner experiment we both wanted to see play out. Try it, you will be surprised!” he wrote.

A screenshot of the man’s little blurb was posted to Twitter by Atlanta-based news, weather, and traffic host Mark Arum, who wrote, “As a former waiter, please don’t ever do this. Ever.”

Link: http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/0...viral.html

First of all tipping should not be allowed. All tipping is is a supplement to the owner of the restaurant to be able to pay his/her employees less, so in actuality you are helping the restaurant by paying their workers salary. Another thing is, if I am going to have to leave a tip you had better provide good service, if not then you don't get a good tip. I am not the I feel sorry for you because you have chosen the profession that you are doing.

Thoughts/Comments?

Sounds to me like the criminal-cult types of thing to do. I think I've seen this in a movie long ago. I'm fairly certain it was fairly common not that long ago, and the waitress had some below the threshold recognition of it's concept as well. I'm willing to bet the sadist-swinger types love engaging in this sort of thing now days.
Silly power play.... "what can I make this person do for money?"

I've worked in restaurants before. In my experience, the people who gave you the most hell were the worst tippers. But usually people are very nice and they tip accordingly.

I've never been a fan of a system that places the waitstaff in a position of being "performing monkey." Most folks that work in restaurants know the job and do it well. And like anyone else, they have bad days and good days.
(08-05-2018, 03:26 PM)BacktotheShadows Wrote: [ -> ]It should be a rule of thumb — if you can’t afford to tip, you can’t afford to eat out. Many servers, bussers, hosts and kitchen staff depend on tips at the end of the night to help round out what they’re paid hourly, which is typically far below minimum wage. Tipping is not a fun game to get your waiter to work harder, it’s an expected part of dining in the United States. Unfortunately, tipping is frequently linked to server abuse and harassment.

That’s why the internet was so shocked by one Facebook user who decided that tormenting his waitress for her tip was a fun game to play on a night out with his wife. He shared the experience to Facebook, claiming that with his methods you will receive “the best service of your life.”

He explained that at the beginning of the meal, he placed five single dollar bills on the table for the server to see. “Don’t say anything to them,” he wrote. “If they mess up, you take a dollar away and so on. At the end of the dinner, however much is left, is their tip.”

He explained that his waitress kept looking at the money with a puzzled look on her face. He even said he ended up taking a dollar away because she forgot to bring the table bread, but that she brought extra bread later so he put the dollar back. “Haha all in all a great evening with my love and a good dinner experiment we both wanted to see play out. Try it, you will be surprised!” he wrote.

A screenshot of the man’s little blurb was posted to Twitter by Atlanta-based news, weather, and traffic host Mark Arum, who wrote, “As a former waiter, please don’t ever do this. Ever.”

First of all tipping should not be allowed.  All tipping is is a supplement to the owner of the restaurant to be able to pay his/her employees less, so in actuality you are helping the restaurant by paying their workers salary.  Another thing is, if I am going to have to leave a tip you had better provide good service, if not then you don't get a good tip.  I am not the I feel sorry for you because you have chosen the profession that you are doing.

Thoughts/Comments?

Have you had friends or acquaintances who work in food service? I have. Its a lousy job. Most are grossly underpaid by the restaurants. So tips become a very important component of their income. Basically they need tips so they can pay rent and eat. So try to be kind and pleasant towards your server. Unless they are out of bounds and then let your conscience be your guide. BTW in many European countries tipping is not expected or allowed. The servers are paid a livable wage for their work. How refreshing...
Heartflowers
As I have already stated in my post...end tipping...let the owner of the restaurant pay a decent wage to the individual. It is not up to those going out to eat to pay the wages of the restaurants employees. End tipping...that is the only way around this bullshit.
(08-05-2018, 04:02 PM)phxsparks Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-05-2018, 03:26 PM)BacktotheShadows Wrote: [ -> ]It should be a rule of thumb — if you can’t afford to tip, you can’t afford to eat out. Many servers, bussers, hosts and kitchen staff depend on tips at the end of the night to help round out what they’re paid hourly, which is typically far below minimum wage. Tipping is not a fun game to get your waiter to work harder, it’s an expected part of dining in the United States. Unfortunately, tipping is frequently linked to server abuse and harassment.

First of all tipping should not be allowed.  All tipping is is a supplement to the owner of the restaurant to be able to pay his/her employees less, so in actuality you are helping the restaurant by paying their workers salary.  Another thing is, if I am going to have to leave a tip you had better provide good service, if not then you don't get a good tip.  I am not the I feel sorry for you because you have chosen the profession that you are doing.

Thoughts/Comments?

Have you had friends or acquaintances who work in food service?  I have.  Its a lousy job.  Most are grossly underpaid by the restaurants.  So tips become a very important component of their income.  Basically they need tips so they can pay rent and eat.  So try to be kind and pleasant towards your server.  Unless they are out of bounds and then let your conscience be your guide.  BTW in many European countries tipping is not expected or allowed.  The servers are paid a livable wage for their work.  How refreshing...
Heartflowers

Yes my Son was a waiter...So that is why I am saying end TIPPING and have the owners pay them a decent wage to work, so they don't have to depend on tips to pay the rent or other bills. When you tip you are not helping the employee, you are helping the owner of the establishment.
(08-05-2018, 04:04 PM)BacktotheShadows Wrote: [ -> ]As I have already stated in my post...end tipping...let the owner of the restaurant pay a decent wage to the individual.  It is not up to those going out to eat to pay the wages of the restaurants employees.  End tipping...that is the only way around this bullshit.

This would work. All that will happen is the additional cost to the employer will be reflected in the pricing of meals on the menu.
(08-05-2018, 04:14 PM)BacktotheShadows Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-05-2018, 04:02 PM)phxsparks Wrote: [ -> ]

Thoughts/Comments?

Have you had friends or acquaintances who work in food service?  I have.  Its a lousy job.  Most are grossly underpaid by the restaurants.  So tips become a very important component of their income.  Basically they need tips so they can pay rent and eat.  So try to be kind and pleasant towards your server.  Unless they are out of bounds and then let your conscience be your guide.  BTW in many European countries tipping is not expected or allowed.  The servers are paid a livable wage for their work.  How refreshing...
Heartflowers

Yes my Son was a waiter...So that is why I am saying end TIPPING and have the owners pay them a decent wage to work, so they don't have to depend on tips to pay the rent or other bills.  When you tip you are not helping the employee, you are helping the owner of the establishment.

I try to help the wait staff personally. When I tip, I do so with cash. I hand the money to the waiter or waitress and watch them put the cash in their pocket. That way I make sure they aren't ripped off by their employer.
(08-05-2018, 04:20 PM)phxsparks Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-05-2018, 04:04 PM)BacktotheShadows Wrote: [ -> ]As I have already stated in my post...end tipping...let the owner of the restaurant pay a decent wage to the individual.  It is not up to those going out to eat to pay the wages of the restaurants employees.  End tipping...that is the only way around this bullshit.

This would work.  All that will happen is the additional cost to the employer will be reflected in the pricing of meals on the menu.

Which would be only a few dollars more per meal. I would rather pay 2.50 more for a meal than having to leave a 10.00 tip.
I enjoyed being a waitress. I loved my job. I averaged 20% or better on tips. Made better money than a whole lot of other people I knew with good jobs. I couldn't live on minimum wage which is what they would pay waitresses if they stopped tipping. When I started as a waitress back in 1982, you had to claim enough in tips to make your hourly, $1.01, add up to minimum wage, which at the time was $3.35 an hour.

One day they changed the law to 10% of your sales. So they had to rework stuff so each waitress would know how much she sold that shift. That's how I found out I made around 20% if not more in tips of what I sold in food. Alcohol was even better. But ya need to be young and cute to cocktail. Wink

I would not work as a waitress if they paid an hourly wage. I liked getting my money daily. All ya gotta do is figure out how much your bills are for the month and divide it by 20 days and that's what you have to save daily. I had to save $10 a day which gradually rose to $20 a day for my bills. The rest was mine for eating, playing, gas, whatever I wanted. When you walk out of the place with $60 on a slow night and have to save $20 of it, that leaves you $40 to play with for the day. And I did not count the change I got either, just the bills. I used to put all my change into jars and in 10 months, I would take a month off. If my job wouldn't let me take the month off, I quit. It took me around 2 hours to get another waitress job.

I was always told that waitresses were a dime a dozen. Well guess what? So are waitress jobs. Chuckle Or course, this was in Dallas, Texas and I was young and cute. Texans are good tippers or were back 20 years ago anyway. Chuckle

I loved waitressing. Yeah3
Pages: 1 2