The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: USS Truman Returns to Atlantic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not sure I buy the excuse, so take this how you will.

"The move to the Atlantic is arguably a continued expression of two constituent themes in the Pentagon as of late: a return to great power competition outlined in new strategic planning documents, and the direction from Secretary of Defense James Mattis that U.S. forces need to be “strategically predictable and operationally unpredictable.”

In terms of great power competition, there is growing evidence that Russia continues to push its newest attack submarines to operate the North Atlantic at a pace not seen since the Cold War, Navy leaders have continued to stress publicly."

https://news.usni.org/2018/06/29/carrier...n-the-rise

I agree.
Was waiting for somewhere to post this...although not specifically naval, the strategy and the new mission statement of the Pentagon is applicable...
https://twitter.com/ThomasWictor/status/...9441771521
(2) Basically, the 2RMA creates strategic special forces.

Imagine Green Berets with their own tanks, gunships, fixed-wing aircraft, artillery, and naval capabilities.
(3) US doctrine called for special-operations units top be used as tactical assets.

The 2RMA allows special-operations units to win wars.

That makes them strategic assets.
(4) The only thing we REALLY know about them is that they fight in "combined arms micro teams."

army.gov.au/our-future/blo…
(5) A micro team would have one tank, one self-propelled artillery piece, one helicopter gunship, one fixed-wing aircraft, one infantry squad, one antitank squad, one sniper squad, one machine-gun quad, and one mortar squad.
(6) The Germans invented this in World War One.

What you want is for the smallest possible unit to have all the weapons of a division, as well as associated air and naval capabilities.
(7) But one hundred years ago, the technology was simply not up to par.

AND the Germans discovered something that nobody anticipated.

Married men with children don't fight as hard.

They want to live.
(8) Eighteen-year-olds and twenty-eight-year-olds belonged to entirely different generations, in terms of how hard they fought.
(9) So the 2RMA solved both problems.

Now, the technology is so advanced that a platoon of men are the same as an entire regiment from the Vietnam War, for example.

Or maybe even from the 2003 Iraqi invasion.
(10) The battlefield is now digitized, and each micro team is represented by a dot and number for each man or woman.

All the micro teams can see each other, so they work out the best way to carry out the mission.
(11) The Germans of World War One also discovered that you have to delegate authority down to the lowest possible rank.

Lieutenants and sergeants lead the micro teams.

Speed is the most important aspect, so you have to give junior officers and noncommissioned officers autonomy.
(12) For as long as the Pentagon had a Website, this was the stated mission.
[Image: Dg6tyZOUcAEIpqn.jpg]
(13) The mission was "to provide the military forces needed to deter war and protect the security of our country."
(14) At some point--without fanfare--the Trump Pentagon changed its mission statement.
[Image: Dg6ulhaUYAAMn1a.jpg]
(15) defense.gov
(16) So NOW the Pentagon's mission is "to provide a lethal Joint Force to defend the security of our country and sustain American influence abroad."
(17) A Joint Force can't exist if the heads of the various branches are in competition.

This was the first evidence that we've joined the 2RMA.
(18)[Image: b2vhUdAO?format=jpg&name=600x314]
How US Marines got into several direct gunfights with ISIS in Syria
"We would displace out of our small [forward operating bases] we were operating out of, move closer in behind the SDF and then provide fires -- a lot of times mortar fire," Marine Col. Christopher Gi…
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-us-ma...ria-2018-6

(19) "'They were integrated with [special operations forces], absolutely integrated. We were providing Marine infantry, we were providing indirect fires, and we were providing anti-tank fires.'"
(20) The Special-Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force-Crisis Response for Central Command (SPMAGTF-CR-CC) initially had THIS stated mission.

imef.marines.mil/Units/SPMAGTF-…
(21) "SPMAGTF-CR-CC conducts crisis response, contingency operations, theater security cooperation, enabling operations and all other missions as may be directed throughout the CENTCOM area of operations in order to support CDR USCENTCOM requirements."
(22) There were two US Marine rifle companies in Syria for 243 days of combat.

Let's do the INCREDIBLY HARD work of describing a marine rifle company.

Here we go:
(23)

Three rifle platoons, comprised of three rifle squads each.

A rifle squad = squad leader and three fire teams.

A fire team = team leader/grenadier, a two-man automatic rifle team, and a rifleman/scout.

Total = 144 men.
(24) Each rifle company also has a weapons platoon.

Dammit.

This is going to take me a long time. Hold on.
(25) Two platoon commanders.

Machine-gun section = section leader, three squads.

Squad = squad leader, two teams.

Team = team leader, gunner, ammunition carrier.

Total = 24 men.
(26) Mortar section = section leader, three squads.

Squad = squad leader/gunner, assistant gunner, ammunition carrier.

Total = 10 men.
(27) Assault section = section leader, three squads (SMAW rockets).

Squad = squad leader/gunner, gunner, assistant gunner.

Total = 10 men.
(28) So one rifle company is 188 men.

Two rifle companies is 376 men.

Plus 40 Delta Force commandos = 416 men.

They were easily outnumbered 30 to 1, but they suffered no casualties.
(29) THIS is the 2RMA.

Lethality.

A very small number of troops who have the ability to handle...anything.
(30) I approve.

If we send our troops to war, we need to have an outrageous advantage, so that they can effortlessly mop the earth with the enemy.

Thank you, @realDonaldTrump. We waited a long time for you...
(31) ADDENDUM:
https://twitter.com/paytreearch/status/1...71521.html
(07-01-2018, 05:31 PM)DaJavoo Wrote: [ -> ]Was waiting for somewhere to post this...although not specifically naval, the strategy and the new mission statement of the Pentagon is applicable...

Sounds like a clusterf**k devised by a bunch of admirals and generals that escaped Obama's hatchet. Now they want to load our fast in, fast out people down with tanks, artillery, and their own personalized air support? Might've come in handy in Grenada or Panama. But look at the issues raised in the Q thread regarding <ahem> less than mil-spec equipment.
(07-01-2018, 06:24 PM)Red Auroras Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-01-2018, 05:31 PM)DaJavoo Wrote: [ -> ]Was waiting for somewhere to post this...although not specifically naval, the strategy and the new mission statement of the Pentagon is applicable...

Sounds like a clusterf**k devised by a bunch of admirals and generals that escaped Obama's hatchet. Now they want to load our fast in, fast out people down with tanks, artillery, and their own personalized air support? Might've come in handy in Grenada or Panama. But look at the issues raised in the Q thread regarding <ahem> less than mil-spec equipment.

You'd enjoy following Wictor's threads on Twit ~ he really analyzes military footage and can extract the skinny. His specialty is what's been happening all over the Middle East, including Iran, Syria & Yemen.

He's been reporting on the 'micro-teams' the Saudis & GCC have been using to great effect all over the Middle East. The concept has proven so damned successful that they are implementing it at DoD. Fully equipped, autonomous and lightning fast.

Things ARE changing, and for the better this time. Yeah
(07-01-2018, 06:33 PM)DaJavoo Wrote: [ -> ]You'd enjoy following Wictor's threads on Twit ~ he really analyzes military footage and can extract the skinny.  His specialty is what's been happening all over the Middle East, including Iran, Syria & Yemen.

He's been reporting on the 'micro-teams' the Saudis & GCC have been using to great effect all over the Middle East.  The concept has proven so damned successful that they are implementing it at DoD.  Fully equipped, autonomous and lightning fast.

Things ARE changing, and for the better this time.  Yeah

Guess I'm a bit jaded. The term, "micro-team" conjures a vision of just that. Less than ten warm bodies that are highly mobile and extremely lethal. Adding heavy armor and artillery just slows down the show and increases vulnerability, IMHO.

It might take a few days but let me see what I can dig up. I've got a couple of contacts over at Little Creek. And one of those told me a 4 word tale that I wouldn't think twice to call BS if it hadn't come from an E-8 operator.
(07-01-2018, 11:40 PM)Red Auroras Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-01-2018, 06:33 PM)DaJavoo Wrote: [ -> ]You'd enjoy following Wictor's threads on Twit ~ he really analyzes military footage and can extract the skinny.  His specialty is what's been happening all over the Middle East, including Iran, Syria & Yemen.

He's been reporting on the 'micro-teams' the Saudis & GCC have been using to great effect all over the Middle East.  The concept has proven so damned successful that they are implementing it at DoD.  Fully equipped, autonomous and lightning fast.

Things ARE changing, and for the better this time.  Yeah

Guess I'm a bit jaded. The term, "micro-team" conjures a vision of just that. Less than ten warm bodies that are highly mobile and extremely lethal. Adding heavy armor and artillery just slows down the show and increases vulnerability, IMHO.

It might take a few days but let me see what I can dig up. I've got a couple of contacts over at Little Creek. And one of those told me a 4 word tale that I wouldn't think twice to call BS if it hadn't come from an E-8 operator.

Hope that particular scuttlebutt is on the money.

Regardless, I think you'd enjoy @ThomasWictor ~ his page alone is worth the Twit sign-up, if you're not already on Twit.

Here's a few threads I've tossed up, enjoy:

https://the-fringe.com/thread-gigantic_m...all_missed
https://the-fringe.com/thread-next_up_in...in_lebanon
https://the-fringe.com/thread-not_your_f...the_new_me
https://the-fringe.com/thread-shazaam_mo...#pid316333
https://the-fringe.com/thread-middle_eas...ne_noticed
https://the-fringe.com/thread-strategic_...e_israelis
(07-02-2018, 06:45 AM)Arkansas_Ted Wrote: [ -> ]It's just one boat. No big deal.

Is it? Or is it the entire CTF? I can't remember the last time a Med cruise (departed Norfolk early April) turned around and left the region uncovered. If the reason given is straight up, they're going to need some picket ships.

Keep in mind, the Pentagon wants a forward deployed base for a CTF in the Med (a'la Yokosuka), but Italy's been gettig pissy about nukes on ships lately that puts a big ? on Naples. And I honestly don't know if Sigonella has the facilities they'd need for the GBGB's.
(07-02-2018, 06:45 AM)Arkansas_Ted Wrote: [ -> ]It's just one boat. No big deal.

Uh, no. Carriers NEVER sail alone. The Truman is the FLAGSHIP of Carrier Strike Group 8.

The other units of the group are the guided-missile cruiser USS Hué City (CG-66), Carrier Air Wing Seven, and the ships of Destroyer Squadron 28.
(07-02-2018, 09:37 AM)Red Auroras Wrote: [ -> ]

Is it? Or is it the entire CTF? I can't remember the last time a Med cruise (departed Norfolk early April) turned around and left the region uncovered. If the reason given is straight up, they're going to need some picket ships.

Keep in mind, the Pentagon wants a forward deployed base for a CTF in the Med (a'la Yokosuka), but Italy's been gettig pissy about nukes on ships lately that puts a big ? on Naples. And I honestly don't know if Sigonella has the facilities they'd need for the GBGB's.

I wonder if the NEW Italian goverment shares the same No Nuke sentiments as the older one
Pages: 1 2