The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Horror Plant Spreads In US, Spotted In Virginia For First Time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

Road Glide

Yikes! Time to break out the Round-Up!

Giant hogweed, a noxious weed that can give people third degree burns, was spotted in Virginia for the first time.

At a Glance
When sap from the giant hogweed combines with moisture and sunlight, it can cause severe skin and eye irritation.
Sightings of the plant have been reported in Virginia, Maine, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and parts of the Pacific Northwest.

Contact with an invasive plant species could lead to serious burns and even blindness, environmental officials in Virginia and other states are warning.

Sightings of the giant hogweed have been reported in Virginia, Maine, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and parts of the Pacific Northwest, WTVD reports.
The plant is a member of the carrot family and can grow to more than 14 feet tall, according to the New York Department of Environmental Conservation.

https://weather.com/science/nature/news/...-blindness
I swear I have seen that plant here in the midwest before. Maybe it's a different species 1dunno1

I ain't gonna touch it either way though! Thanks for the heads up brother...
third degree? wtf? Blink
I grew up with that sticky shit in Oklahoma I thought..!?

It's just immigrating like the kids.
Better get used to it.
Plant demographics have changed...
Why, yes...A lefty told me that.
Plant that shit all along the U.S.-Mexico border. Woot
I found the plant I was thinking of along side an old highway last night. Fortunately, it's not the hog weed mentioned in the article :)

[Image: 2Iqvxdi.jpg]
These poor people...

(06-24-2018, 11:37 AM)Flyover Country Wrote: [ -> ]These poor people...

Damn!! That looks nasty!

When I found the plant, I realized it wasn't the one in the article that @Feckless Road Glide posted, but I was still cautious all the same. I have probably walked through a patch of them in the past without concern, but after reading the article, I wasn't taking any chances  Chuckle
(06-23-2018, 03:31 PM)Mmmkay Ultra Wrote: [ -> ]I grew up with that sticky shit in Oklahoma I thought..!?

There are several plants in the carrot family that look a lot alike. You might be thinking of Queen Anne's lace, or poison hemlock.

https://dengarden.com/gardening/How-to-I...ild-Carrot
Pages: 1 2 3 4