The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Carnivorous Plant with a Plan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This plant that plays dumb is the pitcher plant (Nepenthes ventricosa) of Borneo, one of those fascinating insectivorous plants that traps and eats bugs – in this case, ants. The plant gets its name from the large curved leaves that form a pitcher shape. When the leaves are wet, ants slip and slide over the rim and into the sticky bottom of the pitcher where they’re consumed. That makes it seem like the best way to fill up on ants is to keep those leaves wet and slick.

The team discovered that the ants walking on the plant’s rim-shaped leaves picked up nectar on their feet, which they then left in a trail as they walked back to the nest – a trail that other ants later followed back to the pitcher plant. By then, the plants had turned their sprinklers back on, making the leaves slippery again. 

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2015/01/ca...atch-them/
naturally alternating traps caught 36 percent more prey than wetted traps. Such a stark difference explains why a mechanism that, at first sight, seems disadvantageous can persist in evolution.
Wow that was interesting! Thanks.
Very intriguing. I read this thread earlier this morning, then went on about my chores. While I was outside and looking around, it made me realize, there's a lot, lot more going on right around me that I am not aware of. Nature is amazing!

Great stuff Flyover and thank you!
(06-09-2018, 10:45 AM)Catch Wrote: [ -> ]Very intriguing. I read this thread earlier this morning, then went on about my chores. While I was outside and looking around, it made me realize, there's a lot, lot more going on right around me that I am not aware of. Nature is amazing!

The complexity of nature is amazing. This plant seems to be conscious
(06-09-2018, 10:51 AM)Flyover Country Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-09-2018, 10:45 AM)Catch Wrote: [ -> ]Very intriguing. I read this thread earlier this morning, then went on about my chores. While I was outside and looking around, it made me realize, there's a lot, lot more going on right around me that I am not aware of. Nature is amazing!

The complexity of nature is amazing.  This plant seems to be conscious

I think a lot of things are conscious.
(06-09-2018, 11:11 AM)Sassy Fringette Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-09-2018, 10:51 AM)Flyover Country Wrote: [ -> ]

The complexity of nature is amazing.  This plant seems to be conscious

I'm getting closer...about two more cups of coffee should do it!

Chuckle
(06-09-2018, 11:21 AM)Catch Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-09-2018, 11:11 AM)Sassy Fringette Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-09-2018, 10:51 AM)Flyover Country Wrote: [ -> ]The complexity of nature is amazing.  This plant seems to be conscious

I'm getting closer...about two more cups of coffee should do it!

Chuckle

Lmao Lmao Lmao