The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Humans just 0.01% of all life but have destroyed 83% of wild mammals – study
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Humankind is revealed as simultaneously insignificant and utterly dominant in the grand scheme of life on Earth by a groundbreaking new assessment of all life on the planet.

The world’s 7.6 billion people represent just 0.01% of all living things, according to the study. Yet since the dawn of civilisation, humanity has caused the loss of 83% of all wild mammals and half of plants, while livestock kept by humans abounds.

The new work is the first comprehensive estimate of the weight of every class of living creature and overturns some long-held assumptions. Bacteria are indeed a major life form – 13% of everything – but plants overshadow everything, representing 82% of all living matter. All other creatures, from insects to fungi, to fish and animals, make up just 5% of the world’s biomass.
Read more

Another surprise is that the teeming life revealed in the oceans by the recent BBC television series Blue Planet II turns out to represent just 1% of all biomass. The vast majority of life is land-based and a large chunk – an eighth – is bacteria buried deep below the surface.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...mals-study
human beings might be .01 % of 'all living things' but that includes microbes on up and plants and so on.

so we really need to have a human / total (mammal) ratio or I will continue to feel innocent as I eat my London Broil.
What are Liberals going on about now?

To a Liberal, Human life doesn't matter, Cockroaches and Mosquitoes Lives Matter More.
I'm probably the biggest supporter of animal welfare on this site, but who fucking knows if this shit is true? Scientists will say anything for money. Global warming woke me up to their hustle.
(05-23-2018, 03:50 PM)OldWhiteGuy Wrote: [ -> ]I'm probably the biggest supporter of animal welfare on this site,  but who fucking knows if this shit is true?  Scientists will say anything for money.  Global warming woke me up to their hustle.

Humans are assholes. We have wiped out a lot of living things. The numbers are irrelevant to me. Big or small, we kill shit, we wipe it out forever. Elephants, rhinos, leopards..all endangered because of humans.

Fuck, we murder, rape, molest our own kind, this article does not surprise.

Human beings are evil.
(05-23-2018, 04:16 PM)Debauchery Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2018, 03:50 PM)OldWhiteGuy Wrote: [ -> ]I'm probably the biggest supporter of animal welfare on this site,  but who fucking knows if this shit is true?  Scientists will say anything for money.  Global warming woke me up to their hustle.

Humans are assholes. We have wiped out a lot of living things. The numbers are irrelevant to me. Big or small, we kill shit, we  wipe it out forever.  Elephants, rhinos, leopards..all endangered because of humans.

Human beings are evil.

Well, the Buff probably once roamed where you now live. Will you move if I buy a couple hundred and let em loose there?
(05-23-2018, 05:06 PM)OldWhiteGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2018, 04:16 PM)Debauchery Wrote: [ -> ]

Humans are assholes. We have wiped out a lot of living things. The numbers are irrelevant to me. Big or small, we kill shit, we  wipe it out forever.  Elephants, rhinos, leopards..all endangered because of humans.

Human beings are evil.

Well,  the Buff probably once roamed where you now live.  Will you move if I buy a couple hundred and let em loose there?

A residence is a bit different than a million McDonald's, Walmart, strip malls, liquor stores, boutiques, auto parts stores, other restaurants. People have to live somewhere but we are overdeveloped, we are encroaching on their territory giving them nowhere to go. We can get into poaching too, or killing things just for sport, which is exactly what I was referring to in my original op about humans being evil and killing shit for no reason, to the point that we have a handful of animals where there are only dozens of each left.

Humans destroy everything. It's a fact.
(05-23-2018, 05:36 PM)Debauchery Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2018, 05:06 PM)OldWhiteGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2018, 04:16 PM)Debauchery Wrote: [ -> ]Humans are assholes. We have wiped out a lot of living things. The numbers are irrelevant to me. Big or small, we kill shit, we  wipe it out forever.  Elephants, rhinos, leopards..all endangered because of humans.

Human beings are evil.

Well,  the Buff probably once roamed where you now live.  Will you move if I buy a couple hundred and let em loose there?

A residence is a bit different than a million McDonald's, Walmart, strip malls, liquor stores, boutiques, auto parts stores, other restaurants. People have to live somewhere but we are overdeveloped, we are encroaching on their territory giving them nowhere to go. We can get into poaching too, or killing things just for sport, which is exactly what I was referring to in my original op about humans being evil and killing shit for no reason, to the point that we have a handful of animals where there are only dozens of each left.

Residences attract all of those businesses. They show up to serve you. I hate it too, but that's life. It doesn't mean that we're inherently evil. Those millions of starving Africans that everyone fed back in 1990, they all had kids and they gotta live somewhere too. I guess none of the do-gooders thought about the animals when they adopted a starving negro.

Just another example of bullshit I blame on the media. I didn't think you'd give ground to a buff. Too bad. They're quite tasty.
(05-23-2018, 05:44 PM)OldWhiteGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2018, 05:36 PM)Debauchery Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2018, 05:06 PM)OldWhiteGuy Wrote: [ -> ]Well,  the Buff probably once roamed where you now live.  Will you move if I buy a couple hundred and let em loose there?

Residences attract all of those businesses.  They show up to serve you.  I hate it too, but that's life.  It doesn't mean that we're inherently evil.  Those millions of starving Africans that everyone fed back in 1990,  they all had kids and they gotta live somewhere too. I guess none of the do-gooders thought about the animals when they adopted a starving negro.  

Just another example of bullshit I blame on the media.

I don't disagree with you completely lol, I do have an issue with the development of shitty businesses on every free piece of land and how it affects animals, but my post was mainly aimed at people that are slaughtering animals to extinction. They gotta have that ivory or those pelts or this and that for its supposed medicinal properties or they gotta have trophy heads in their homes.

We aren't inherently good either. Look at the horrific things going on around you, inherent or not many of us are evil.
(05-23-2018, 05:50 PM)Debauchery Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2018, 05:44 PM)OldWhiteGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2018, 05:36 PM)Debauchery Wrote: [ -> ]A residence is a bit different than a million McDonald's, Walmart, strip malls, liquor stores, boutiques, auto parts stores, other restaurants. People have to live somewhere but we are overdeveloped, we are encroaching on their territory giving them nowhere to go. We can get into poaching too, or killing things just for sport, which is exactly what I was referring to in my original op about humans being evil and killing shit for no reason, to the point that we have a handful of animals where there are only dozens of each left.

Residences attract all of those businesses.  They show up to serve you.  I hate it too, but that's life.  It doesn't mean that we're inherently evil.  Those millions of starving Africans that everyone fed back in 1990,  they all had kids and they gotta live somewhere too. I guess none of the do-gooders thought about the animals when they adopted a starving negro.  

Just another example of bullshit I blame on the media.

I don't disagree with you completely lol, I do have an issue with the development of shitty businesses on every free piece of land and how it affects animals, but my post was mainly aimed at people that are slaughtering animals to extinction. They gotta have that ivory or those pelts or this and that for its supposed medicinal properties or they gotta have trophy heads in their homes.

We aren't inherently good either. Look at the horrific things going on around you, inherent or not many of us are evil.

I've killed entire generations of living things in my life....sometimes, entire colonies. I think about that fire ant pile I murdered last month and think, I wish I would snuffed them out sooner, before they bit my dog.

I'm thinking that this article, put forth by liberals, includes algae, microbes and insects which FAR out number humans and even animals.

Liberals are THAT twisted when they are up to something.
Pages: 1 2