The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Walkin' the Dog, Walkin' the Dog!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm pretty good friends with our veterinarian. It's a full service animal hospital, but they also board pets for clients of the hospital. This means that between patients and boarders, they will have up to a dozen dogs and cats spending the weekend.

Anyways, one day they needed a hand. The scheduled assistant had an emergency and they needed someone to walk and feed the critters. I went over, got a quick lesson and helped out. I offered to help any time they were short handed.

So, I'm a volunteer. It's great! They only ask a few times each year. I took care of the animals today. One little dog has cancer and lost a leg, but he got a walk in the sunshine and a bunch of dog treats. Played ball with a Great Dane for 30 minutes. Fed them all and made everyone happy. Each time I go, every dog or cat becomes a new friend.

I highly recommend volunteering at your local animal shelter or vet clinic. It's good mental therapy and it always makes me smile. If you've got a little free time and like animals, you'll be glad you did it.
Heartflowers Great therapy for both sides.
Walking The Dog, just had to post this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udNI96SF_ts
Keep writing another lyric to this same tune and can't stray meaningfully off of such a great ol' song!
(04-21-2018, 07:43 PM)OldWhiteGuy Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty good friends with our veterinarian.  It's a full service animal hospital,  but they also board pets for clients of the hospital.  This means that between patients and boarders,  they will have up to a dozen dogs and cats spending the weekend.  

Anyways,  one day they needed a hand.  The scheduled assistant had an emergency and they needed someone to walk and feed the critters. I went over,  got a quick lesson and helped out.  I offered to help any time they were short handed.

So,  I'm a volunteer.  It's great!  They only ask a few times each year.  I took care of the animals today.  One little dog has cancer and lost a leg,  but he got a walk in the sunshine and a bunch of dog treats.  Played ball with a Great Dane for 30 minutes.  Fed them all and made everyone happy.  Each time I go,  every dog or cat becomes a new friend.

I highly recommend volunteering at your local animal shelter or vet  clinic. It's good mental therapy and it always makes me smile.  If you've got a little free time and like animals,  you'll be glad you did it.

[Image: g1432013748170621949.png]
thats a good idea! most of the time i have nothing to do on weekends, i get online most of the day. wouldnt mind tending to dogs...but mostly the kitties
(04-21-2018, 11:12 PM)SR-25 Wrote: [ -> ]thats a good idea! most of the time i have nothing to do on weekends, i get online most of the day. wouldnt mind tending to dogs...but mostly the kitties

Before you know it you'll be crazy cat lady...man.. Lmao
(04-21-2018, 11:12 PM)SR-25 Wrote: [ -> ]thats a good idea! most of the time i have nothing to do on weekends, i get online most of the day. wouldnt mind tending to dogs...but mostly the kitties

It's really a lot of fun. The dogs and cats are always happy to see someone show up. They know it's time to eat. I also get to learn a little bit about different treatments and see all kinds of medical issues. At first, I thought some of the dogs might be aggressive, but none so far. It's funny, the dogs really reflect the owners character. Some of them are so spoiled... mostly the little dogs that ride in their owners purse. Others have had zero discipline, and they're just wild. Some are scared and missing home. Others are just cool dogs. They're just like people. I like them all..

About cats,... I never had owned a cat until about 2000. I always had dogs. Then our dog passed away and we brought home a cat from the same clinic. She's 20 years old now and now we've got four cats. I'm officially a cat guy. Two are mine and two belong to the OldWhiteGal. They're all rescues from the clinic. The cats at the clinic are a lot of fun too, but I don't get a lot of time with them.

One of my cats is smarter than I am. He has electric toys that he's figured out how to turn them on all by himself. He also opens and closes drawers, doors and he can open the window shade when he wants to look out. Sits up and begs for treats, and drags his leash to me when he wants to go for a walk. He's so smart its really amazing. One day I'll post some videos of him doing this stuff.
That's great! Cheer

I plan on donating time once retired (~1.5 years) at the local cat rescue.
(04-22-2018, 11:41 AM)OldWhiteGuy Wrote: [ -> ]

It's really a lot of fun.  The dogs and cats are always happy to see someone show up.  They know it's time to eat.  I also get to learn a little bit about different treatments and see all kinds of medical issues.  At first,  I thought some of the dogs might be aggressive,  but none so far.  It's funny,  the dogs really reflect the owners character.  Some of them are so spoiled... mostly the little dogs that ride in their owners purse.  Others have had zero discipline,  and they're just wild. Some are scared and missing home.  Others are just cool dogs. They're just like people. I like them all..

About cats,... I never had owned a cat until about 2000.  I always had dogs.  Then our dog passed away and we brought home a cat from the same clinic.  She's 20 years old now and now we've got four cats.  I'm officially a cat guy.  Two are mine and two belong to the OldWhiteGal.  They're all rescues from the clinic.  The cats at the clinic are a lot of fun too, but I don't get a lot of time with them.

One of my cats is smarter than I am.  He has electric toys that he's figured out how to turn them on all by himself.  He also opens and closes drawers,  doors and he can open the window shade when he wants to look out.  Sits up and begs for treats,  and drags his leash to me when he wants to go for a walk.  He's so smart its really amazing. One day I'll post some videos of him doing this stuff.

Please do!!!

Heartflowers
Pages: 1 2