The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Marine Corps adopts .300 WinMag as it's standard sniper round
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201...e-promise/

replacing the old M40 platform(.308) in use since at least the Vietnam War.

Effective range moved out to 1300 yards. Nearly 25% increase in effective range.

Knock Knock:
Who dere?
Yura.
Yura who?
Yura ded sonofabitch.

Road Glide

(04-06-2018, 10:57 PM)last one Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201...e-promise/

Effective range moved out to 1300 yards.  Nearly 25% increase in effective range.

Knock Knock:
Who dere?
Yura.
Yura who?
Yura ded sonofabitch.

How does that compare to the M107 .50 cal sniper rifle?

Not trying to be a jackass, just curious. I'm not a gun scholar so this is a genuine question.
(04-06-2018, 11:16 PM)Road Glide Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-06-2018, 10:57 PM)last one Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201...e-promise/

Effective range moved out to 1300 yards.  Nearly 25% increase in effective range.

Knock Knock:
Who dere?
Yura.
Yura who?
Yura ded sonofabitch.

Not trying to be a jackass, just curious.  I'm not a gun scholar so this is a genuine question.

The .300 would be a lot lighter to transport, and a lot more ammo could be carried by the sniper and his spotter. My opinion.

There have been confirmed kills with the .50 at a mile or more, but it's heavy to carry around, and the ammo is bulky.

Road Glide

(04-06-2018, 11:30 PM)last one Wrote: [ -> ]

Knock Knock:
Who dere?
Yura.
Yura who?
Yura ded sonofabitch.

Not trying to be a jackass, just curious.  I'm not a gun scholar so this is a genuine question.

The .300 would be a lot lighter to transport, and a lot more ammo could be carried by the sniper and his spotter.  My opinion.

That makes sense, lighter and easier to carry.

How about effective range? 1300 yds for the .300. What is the range for the .50 cal?
I'm glad you posted this. I purchased a Vortex Viper scope for my long barrel AR recently but ended up not liking it on that rifle. I have been scouting around for a decent bolt action platform to mount it on. I was leaning towards the 7MM Mag or .308 and somewhat decided on the Savage Scout chambered in .308. I did look at the .300WM a little bit but it just didn't seam popular enough to insure ammo would be plentiful.

This kinda changes things.
(04-06-2018, 11:36 PM)Road Glide Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-06-2018, 11:30 PM)last one Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-06-2018, 11:16 PM)Road Glide Wrote: [ -> ]How does that compare to the M107 .50 cal sniper rifle?

The .300 would be a lot lighter to transport, and a lot more ammo could be carried by the sniper and his spotter.  My opinion.

That makes sense, lighter and easier to carry.

How about effective range?  1300 yds for the .300.  What is the range for the .50 cal?

I think it's around 2000 or 2500 yards. Over a mile for sure.
(04-06-2018, 11:37 PM)Louve Wrote: [ -> ]I'm glad you posted this. I purchased a Vortex Viper scope for my long barrel AR recently but ended up not liking it on that rifle. I have been scouting around for a decent bolt action platform to mount it on. I was leaning towards the 7MM Mag or .308 and somewhat decided on the Savage Scout chambered in .308. I did look at the .300WM a little bit but it just didn't seam popular enough to insure ammo would be plentiful.

This kinda changes things.

It would be too bad if they made the surplus M40 available to the public like they did the .30 carbines, Garands, and Colt 1911.

Knock Knock:
Who dere?
Yura.
Yura who?
Yura ded sonofabitch.

It's still a 308 round, it's just got a lot more powder behind it, and seeing as it will be sniper round a I assume a heavier bullet.

The slowness from a heavier round as compared to what would be shot from a .308 rifle, it will have a higher BC which means it will function, more aerodynamically and travel further. So, instead of say a 168 or 178 grain bullet, they can shoot those or heavier bullets. The lighter bullets have their place still no doubt, especially when being used at close ranges, but the further you want to go, generally a heavier or heavy for caliber bullet would be used to over come inertia.

Now, the .50 caliber CAN be used on human targets, regardless of what they say. However for the most part the .50 is a anti material round, against things like scuds missiles and the like.
However the G1 ballistic coefficient is based on a cannon ball, the .50 caliber has a perfect b.c or better. The true LR rounds can be accurate, however ball rounds, like the ones used in a machine gun(the M2) usually yields a an MOA of 1.5 -3 minutes of angle. This minute of angle measurement is based on a cone of uncertainty, and so that is why the smaller MOA rifles are prized for higher accuracy events.

The measurement of MOA is at 100 yards. So every 100 yards a 1 moa rifle for instance with increase, from 100 yards to 200 yards it will be 2 moa, and at 1000 it will be 10 moa.

The 300 win mag can be a sub minute of angle weapon system, mine for instance yielding me a 1/2 MOA or better depending on the seasoning. Seasoning is another issue that can lower or sometime increase MOA, but a whole different issue.

So.

The 300 winmag is a Mile/mile plus rifle with sub MOA results, especially after the stuff they do to their rifles.

The .50 is a fine weapon system for what it is, and can potentially kill out over 2 miles, especially with specialty ammunition. Carlos Hathcock got a confirmed kill with a scoped M2. So...

Weight and cost being a thing, especially for the Marine corps, the 300 winmag will get them most of the way, and they do have specialty .50 calibers anyhow.

Hope that helps.
(04-06-2018, 11:45 PM)Dire_effects Wrote: [ -> ]

Knock Knock:
Who dere?
Yura.
Yura who?
Yura ded sonofabitch.

It's still a 308 round, it's just got a lot more powder behind it, and seeing as it will be sniper round a I assume a heavier bullet.

The slowness from a heavier round as compared to what would be shot from a .308 rifle, it will have a higher BC which means it will function, more aerodynamically and travel further. So, instead of say a 168 or 178 grain bullet, they can shoot those or heavier bullets. The lighter bullets have their place still no doubt, especially when being used at close ranges, but the further you want to go, generally a heavier or heavy for caliber bullet would be used to over come inertia.

Now, the .50 caliber CAN be used on  human targets, regardless of what they say. However for the most part the .50 is a anti material round, against things like scuds missiles and the like.
However the G1 ballistic coefficient is based on a cannon ball, the .50 caliber has a perfect b.c or better. The true LR rounds can be accurate, however ball rounds, like the ones used in a machine gun(the M2) usually yields a an MOA of 1.5 -3 minutes of angle. This minute of angle measurement is based on a cone of uncertainty, and so that is why the smaller MOA rifles are prized for higher accuracy events.

The measurement of MOA is at 100 yards. So every 100 yards a 1 moa rifle for instance with increase, from 100 yards to 200 yards it will be 2 moa, and at 1000 it will be 10 moa.

The 300 win mag can be a sub minute of angle weapon system, mine for instance yielding me a 1/2 MOA or better depending on the seasoning. Seasoning is another issue that can lower or sometime increase MOA, but a whole different issue.

So.

The 300 winmag is a Mile/mile plus rifle with sub MOA results, especially after the stuff they do to their rifles.

The .50 is a fine weapon system for what it is, and can potentially kill out over 2 miles, especially with specialty ammunition. Carlos Hathcock got a confirmed kill with a scoped M2. So...

Weight and cost being a thing, especially for the Marine corps, the 300 winmag will get them most of the way, and they do have specialty .50 calibers anyhow.

Hope that helps.

Very good info. In addition, the Barrett M82 was specifically designed as a long range sniper rifle for the Army. Military designation is the M 107.

The .50 M 107 has been in common use as a antipersonnel weapon by the Army for quite a while.

Hathcock's kill was with a scope sighted M2 .50 caliber machine gun(Ma Deuce).