The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Car help needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
A guy at work backed into my car and the hood is all messed up. Luckily, it's stuck firmly down but pretty buckled. Our mechanic hadn't left yet, so he was able to look at it and deem it safe to drive.

I've NEVER had to deal with body repairs. How do I pick a body shop? How long do you think it'll take? What should I expect them to do or not do? It's a 2003 Sunfire - any guesses on cost to expect? The guy is going to pay for it - but I still want to make sure it's a fair price.

Yes, really - I have no idea how this stuff works. I know how to handle all the mechanical repairs but no idea on body work at all.

I'm very sad. My poor car. It was just sitting there, minding it's own business. Lucky it has that fun Pontiac pointy front end - or I think it'd have been killeded. tears

Type 'Body shop repairs' and your 'area' into Google. Most companies have reviews now left by other customers!

Ebay will more than likely have a second hand bonnet, type 'your car make and model and the word breaking' into Ebay search, then you would just need someone to fit it and respray!

Road Glide

Get a couple of estimates from local body shops, make sure they use genuine parts and not cheap after market shit.

Is the person who hit you using their insurance to pay for the repairs?
Call around to local repair shops and ask for an estimate. To really keep costs low call a few salvage yards and get the the parts used.
[Image: JYPr34j.jpg]
(04-03-2018, 05:30 PM)Road Glide Wrote: [ -> ]Get a couple of estimates from local body shops, make sure they use genuine parts and not cheap after market shit.

I don't have a lot of time to make phone calls - since I work the switchboard. Ironic. But yes, I want genuine parts and I want it to match in color.

As we left, the guy is going to pay for it and not involve insurance. I'm not sure he has insurance (even though it's the law). But there's no way he'll get out of it - he admitted it to every one. And he's a nice guy. I know he felt bad. But I'm not accepting subpar repairs for the sake of his wallet. I think he SHOULD involve his insurance - then they can handle all this and just tell me where to take it. It's too much stress for me.

Tonight, the only decision I need to make is - do I keep driving it or call a co-worker and carpool with them. I'm a tiny bit worried about the alignment - it was a little more off than usual. The good part - I think my left front wheel/brake/whatever is working better. It's been grouchy for a while.
(04-03-2018, 05:28 PM)Guest Wrote: [ -> ]Type 'Body shop repairs' and your 'area' into Google. Most companies have reviews now left by other customers!

Ebay will more than likely have a second hand bonnet, type 'your car make and model and the word breaking' into Ebay search, then you would just need someone to fit it and respray!

That's a good idea!

I also happen to work at a rigging/construction company - so I'm sure people will have suggestions tomorrow. I'm kind of thinking if I can find a shop near work, it'll be easier to drop off and pick it up - since I have no one to rely on out here for that part. And once I stopped freaking out - I do have the car pool option and the one guy is only a mile down the street, so it's not that much of an inconvenience for him to help me out.

Road Glide

(04-03-2018, 05:46 PM)Copernica Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2018, 05:30 PM)Road Glide Wrote: [ -> ]Get a couple of estimates from local body shops, make sure they use genuine parts and not cheap after market shit.

I don't have a lot of time to make phone calls - since I work the switchboard.  Ironic.   But yes, I want genuine parts and I want it to match in color.

As we left, the guy is going to pay for it and not involve insurance.  I'm not sure he has insurance (even though it's the law).   But there's no way he'll get out of it - he admitted it to every one.  And he's a nice guy.  I know he felt bad.  But I'm not accepting subpar repairs for the sake of his wallet.    I think he SHOULD involve his insurance - then they can handle all this and just tell me where to take it.  It's too much stress for me.

Tonight, the only decision I need to make is - do I keep driving it or call a co-worker and carpool with them.  I'm a tiny bit worried about the alignment - it was a little more off than usual.  The good part - I think my left front wheel/brake/whatever is working better.  It's been grouchy for a while.

If the damage is just cosmetic, you should be fine driving it. But, getting at least one estimate from a body shop who should be able to tell you if there is underlying damage that might make the vehicle unsafe to drive would be something I would do asap.

Good luck, dealing with a wrecked car is a pain in the ass but not the end of the world. You got this.
(04-03-2018, 05:49 PM)Copernica Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2018, 05:28 PM)Guest Wrote: [ -> ]Type 'Body shop repairs' and your 'area' into Google. Most companies have reviews now left by other customers!

That's a good idea!  

I also happen to work at a rigging/construction company - so I'm sure people will have suggestions tomorrow.  I'm kind of thinking if I can find a shop near work, it'll be easier to drop off and pick it up - since I have no one to rely on out here for that part.   And once I stopped freaking out - I do have the car pool option and the one guy is only a mile down the street, so it's not that much of an inconvenience for him to help me out.

On a 15 year old car, your insurance company may 'total' it if it's cheaper than the cost to repair. Not so bad, you'll get the cash up front and you can then get a "salvage title" on the car and get it repaired. Or, you could invest the proceeds in another vehicle.

Good luck! Yeah

Road Glide

(04-03-2018, 05:56 PM)DaJavoo Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2018, 05:49 PM)Copernica Wrote: [ -> ]

That's a good idea!  

I also happen to work at a rigging/construction company - so I'm sure people will have suggestions tomorrow.  I'm kind of thinking if I can find a shop near work, it'll be easier to drop off and pick it up - since I have no one to rely on out here for that part.   And once I stopped freaking out - I do have the car pool option and the one guy is only a mile down the street, so it's not that much of an inconvenience for him to help me out.

On a 15 year old car, your insurance company may 'total' it if it's cheaper than the cost to repair.  Not so bad, you'll get the cash up front and you can then get a "salvage title" on the car and get it repaired.  Or, you could invest the proceeds in another vehicle.

Good luck!  Yeah

Sounds like the person who hit Cope either may not have insurance or doesn't want to claim the accident on it for one reason or another. Letting the insurance handle things is the least (or usually) hassle option. If they guy is going to pay out of pocket, you got to get those estimates and make sure the person who hit you writes you a check (and it clears the bank) for the full amount before that car ever enters the repair bay.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5