The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: The windstorm of 1998. Chaotic night.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
October 20 of 1998 was an unforgettable night.
I drove all day, and the weather was rainy and windy. The emergency broadcast kicked in on my CB radio warning about 70-85 mile an hour winds. While I was driving the winds were about 35 miles an hour.
I was just on my way to the truckstop to rest for the evening, when the winds started picking up drastically. When I exited the highway my cab (with no trailer connected to it) almost tipped over.
I got a bit nervous, but stayed calm. A minivan tipped over to its side as I was pulling into the truck stop.

After finding a parking spot. I went to the back of my sleeper and pounded down 3 beers, while listening to the emergency broadcast system. My truck was reeling and rocking the whole time. I finally tried to exit my truck, and it wasn't without a challenge. The winds gave me a hard time getting my door open and when I finally did it slammed shut.

As I was approaching the truckstop, a mans cowboy hat flew off his head. He disappeared into the darkness trying to catch it.. Don't think he was successful.
Another man was urinating between his cab and trailer hollering " yee hee hee hee hee hee yee hee hee hee hee hee I love these high winds yee hee hee hee hee hee. Bizarre! But anyways.

When I finally entered the truckstop I went directly into the restroom to wash up. That's when the power went out. The whole truckstop was pitch black. Truckers on the crapper were going crazy because they weren't done handling their business. I had a flashlight on me, so I turn it on and exited the restroom. That's when I heard a loud boom. We all went to the window to see what it was, and it appeared a truck fell on top of someone's rig. The truckers were saying I'm not going back outside until the winds die down. The staff in the truck stop didn't want to leave either. As we were looking out the window, we saw tree branches flying. Garbage bags and other debris flying through the air as if everything outside was in a vacuum. I got into conversation with a couple drivers, and pulled s few beers out of my backpack. So we had a few beers and shot the shit. That's when a window in the truckstop shattered. It was a big window, so things things inside the truckstop were blowing around. Things such as papers, napkins and other small items. I went to the other side of the truckstop. That's were I met a lady. We had a awesome conversation about different things in life. My wife and I were separated at the time. We went up to the billiards room and set up a few flashlight. We play darts, pool and the cardngame go fish with some other truckers. There was a huge window in the billiards room, so we could all see the action going on outside. A couple rigs were tipped completely over. A rat was even airborne. Never seen a flying rat until that day, and I haven't seen one since. Lol. A man started telling the story of a headless teenage girl named Marianne and how she haunts the truckstop parking lot looking for her head. His story spooked everyone, because old new paper articles about Mariannes accident 20 previous, was on the truckstop wall. I was creeped, so was my new friend Lisa. We fell asleep in each others arms in the corner of the truckstop. The next morning the whole lot looked like a war zone. Insurance companies, including my own were busy. Chow!
(03-15-2018, 06:57 PM)Big Jan Wrote: [ -> ]October 20 of 1998 was an unforgettable night.
I drove all day, and the weather was rainy and windy. The emergency broadcast kicked in on my CB radio warning about 70-85 mile an hour winds. While I was driving the winds were about 35 miles an hour.
I was just on my way to the truckstop to rest for the evening, when the winds started picking up drastically. When I exited the highway my cab (with no trailer connected to it) almost tipped over.
I got a bit nervous, but stayed calm. A minivan tipped over to its side as I was pulling into the truck stop.

After finding a parking spot. I went to the back of my sleeper and pounded down 3 beers, while listening to the emergency broadcast system. My truck was reeling and rocking the whole time. I finally tried to exit my truck, and it wasn't without a challenge. The winds gave me a hard time getting my door open and when I finally did it slammed shut.

As I was approaching the truckstop, a mans cowboy hat flew off his head. He disappeared into the darkness trying to catch it.. Don't think he was successful.
Another man was urinating between his cab and trailer hollering " yee hee hee hee hee hee yee hee hee hee hee hee I love these high winds yee hee hee hee hee hee. Bizarre! But anyways.

When I finally entered the truckstop I went directly into the restroom to wash up. That's when the power went out. The whole truckstop was pitch black. Truckers on the crapper were going crazy because they weren't done handling their business. I had a flashlight on me, so I turn it on and exited the restroom. That's when I heard a loud boom. We all went to the window to see what it was, and it appeared a truck fell on top of someone's rig. The truckers were saying I'm not going back outside until the winds die down. The staff in the truck stop didn't want to leave either. As we were looking out the window, we saw tree branches flying. Garbage bags and other debris flying through the air as if everything outside was in a vacuum. I got into conversation with a couple drivers, and pulled s few beers out of my backpack. So we had a few beers and shot the shit. That's when a window in the truckstop shattered. It was a big window, so things things inside the truckstop were blowing around. Things such as papers, napkins and other small items. I went to the other side of the truckstop. That's were I met a lady. We had a awesome conversation about different things in life. My wife and I were separated at the time. We went up to the  billiards room and set up a few flashlight. We play darts, pool and the cardngame go fish with some other truckers. There was a huge window in the billiards room, so we could all see the action going on outside. A couple rigs were tipped completely over. A rat was even airborne. Never seen a flying rat until that day, and I haven't seen one since. Lol. A man started telling the story of a headless teenage girl named Marianne and how she haunts the truckstop parking lot looking for her head. His story spooked everyone, because old new paper articles about Mariannes accident 20 previous, was on the truckstop wall. I was creeped, so was my new friend Lisa. We fell asleep in each others arms in the corner of the truckstop. The next morning the whole lot looked like a war zone. Insurance companies, including my own were busy. Chow!

Made a few errors In typing. My fat fingers and my small cell phone make it hard to type. I didn't bother proof reading, I just typed out my memories of that particular night. So please cut me some slack on typos I made. Thanks chow

Waaah! I passed out!
(03-15-2018, 06:57 PM)Big Jan Wrote: [ -> ]October 20 of 1998 was an unforgettable night.

When I finally entered the truckstop I went directly into the restroom to wash up. That's when the power went out. The whole truckstop was pitch black. Truckers on the crapper were going crazy because they weren't done handling their business. I had a flashlight on me, so I turn it on and exited the restroom. That's when I heard a loud boom. We all went to the window to see what it was, and it appeared a truck fell on top of someone's rig. The truckers were saying I'm not going back outside until the winds die down. The staff in the truck stop didn't want to leave either. As we were looking out the window, we saw tree branches flying. Garbage bags and other debris flying through the air as if everything outside was in a vacuum. I got into conversation with a couple drivers, and pulled s few beers out of my backpack. So we had a few beers and shot the shit. That's when a window in the truckstop shattered. It was a big window, so things things inside the truckstop were blowing around. Things such as papers, napkins and other small items. I went to the other side of the truckstop. That's were I met a lady. We had a awesome conversation about different things in life. My wife and I were separated at the time. We went up to the  billiards room and set up a few flashlight. We play darts, pool and the cardngame go fish with some other truckers. There was a huge window in the billiards room, so we could all see the action going on outside. A couple rigs were tipped completely over. A rat was even airborne. Never seen a flying rat until that day, and I haven't seen one since. Lol. A man started telling the story of a headless teenage girl named Marianne and how she haunts the truckstop parking lot looking for her head. His story spooked everyone, because old new paper articles about Mariannes accident 20 previous, was on the truckstop wall. I was creeped, so was my new friend Lisa. We fell asleep in each others arms in the corner of the truckstop. The next morning the whole lot looked like a war zone. Insurance companies, including my own were busy. Chow!

You have lots of adventurous stories :)