The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Alt Media Journalist Broke a Story Before Local News, So She Was Arrested, Charged With Felonies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Villarreal did nothing illegal. She stole no secrets, was not some NSA whistleblower and the information she reported did not cause anyone harm nor place anyone in danger. Villarreal, who runs the Facebook page LaGordiloca—with nearly 84,000 fans—simply published the same information the police department published publicly—only before they did.

Yes, that is all she did and the police actually admit this is all she did.

“(Villarreal’s) access to this information and releasing it on ‘Lagordiloca News Laredo Tx’ before the official release by the Laredo Police Department Public Information Officer placed her ‘Facebook’ page ahead of the local official news media which in turn gained her popularity in ‘Facebook,'” states the criminal complaint filed against Villarreal.

The horror.

According to the Laredo Morning Times, the Laredo police department began investigating the case July 10, when its Office of Professional Standards received information stating that Goodman had been communicating with Villarreal, the affidavit states. The document says that some of the information published by Villarreal on her Facebook page was not available to anyone outside of law enforcement.

Investigators obtained subpoenas for Goodman’s and Villarreal’s phone records. Police said they discovered that the two “contacted each other on a regular basis and on specific dates that coincide with law enforcement activities,” according to the Times.

In what appears to be an extreme case of butthurt, the LPD seemingly became enraged at the fact that someone would beat them to a press release, so they acted. Villarreal, after receiving information, would go live on Facebook to report details of an incident that were not public at the time, the arrest affidavit states.

To reiterate, the police department would later release this exact information to the ‘official’ local media who would then report it. However, because Villarreal was first, she is now facing felony charges.

Naturally, Villarreal’s case is garnering the attention of those worried about the implications of First Amendment rights in her case, and it should. This independent journalist is the first person in the history of Webb County to be facing misuse of information charges, according to the paper.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/journal...-felonies/
[Image: cZy6d6Z.gif]
Damn. After reading the article I thought to myself "what a bunch of bullshit, they can't do that. Can they?". So i went to digging and found out that they actually can but only if they can prove criminal intent.
What was the criminal intent? They're claiming she did it for the "benefit" of facebook likes.
(12-22-2017, 04:34 PM)Talon Wrote: [ -> ]What was the criminal intent?  They're claiming she did it for the "benefit" of facebook likes.

She forgot to say:  Mother, may I?

T-Dub

Maybe Comey will come along and explain "intention" to everyone again.
(12-22-2017, 04:34 PM)Talon Wrote: [ -> ]What was the criminal intent?  They're claiming she did it for the "benefit" of facebook likes.

I don't think that there is any. Even knowingly sharing the information without permission isn't considered criminal intent in relation to this charge. They're going to have to drop the charges, there's no way she could get convicted. That's just me not-lawyering though Chuckle
(12-22-2017, 04:58 PM)IRTdub Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe Comey will come along and explain "intention" to everyone again.

Yeah3

And wanting "likes" is criminal?

We all better be careful with that Like button !!! Scream1