The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Toys are Us Files For Bankruptcy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Toys "R" Us Canada has initiated bankruptcy proceedings in an Ontario court a day after it filed for creditor protection in the U.S.
The company said Tuesday its 82 stores across Canada, as well as its e-commerce sites will continue to operate as usual during its restructuring process under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act.
"The restructuring is intended to facilitate the continued success of our iconic brands; building a stronger company for our customers, business partners and team members," Melanie Teed-Murch, president of Toys "R" Us and Babies "R" Us Canada said in a statement.

The move comes at a critical time leading into the holiday season that is crucial to retailers' bottom lines.
The company has financing commitments to ensure normal operations throughout the CCAA proceedings, including stocking the hottest toys for the holidays and honouring all gift cards, warranties and returns, Teed-Murch said.
"We are confident that this process will enable us to leverage Toys "R" Us' existing strengths to succeed."
Toys "R" Us filed Chapter 11 documents late Monday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Richmond, Virginia.
The company said its approximately 1,600 Toys "R" Us and Babies "R" Us stores around the world - the "vast majority of which are profitable" - and its web portals continue to operate as usual.
The chain also said it had secured US$3 billion in financing to stay open while it restructures its outstanding debt and establishes a sustainable capital structure to invest in long-term growth.
Toys "R" Us is the latest brick-and-mortar retailer to struggle amid growing competition from online merchants and changing consumer preferences, with Sears Canada filing for CCAA protection this past June.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/toys-r-us...-1.3595722

In a separate statement, the company also said its online sales sites worldwide remain open for business during the court-supervised process. It added that the company's operations outside of the U.S. and Canada, including operations in Europe and Australia as well as some 255 licensed stores and joint venture partnership in Asia — all separate entities — were not part of the Chapter 11 filing or the parallel Canadian move.

The company has nearly 65,000 employees worldwide and bills itself as a leading global retailer of toy and baby products. Merchandise is sold through 885 Toys "R" Us and Babies "R" Us stores in the U.S., Puerto Rico and Guam, and in more than 810 international stores and over 255 licensed stores in 38 countries and jurisdictions.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/toys-r-u...-1.4296274

I agree that it is probably online shopping that is causing all these big retailers to crater. Most often I prefer to shop on my computer where I can easily compare prices, but on the other hand, I also like being able to go into a showroom and kick the tires. So perhaps everything will move online eventually.
-T
I see a lot more online orders for this holiday season.

~mc~

I couldn't tell you the last time I was in a toys r us. Even when my son was little Shock
Tissue That sucks...I spent a ton a time in there...

I spent as much time in their dumpster at night as I did in the store...I would go and get all the racks and displays out of the dumpster when they changed stuff...I must have a hundred posters of PSI games from the 90s...and stand ups....

if you ever went in back in the day the PS game machines were in an aisle with some display machines and the holders for the controllers...I dug that stuff from the dumpster and had it all reassembled at my warehouse where kids would come in an play the games and marvel at how it looked like the store....hee..heee...

when they took the store out in my town I went up during the demolition and cut a big piece of the carpet and still have it...

I could fix Toys r us easy

Wondering if i can get a 500GB ps4 for under 200? Come black friday (christmas)

SR -is-stuck-with-his-ps3
Hard to feel one way or another about a toy monopoly.

Just can't muster any give a shits...
(09-20-2017, 02:43 PM)Frigg Wrote: [ -> ]Hard to feel one way or another about a toy monopoly.

I can to a degree. I feel sad that all brick and mortar stores are starting to die. It's just one more part of life that is being digitized. People no longer go out and live in the real world. They sit at home and order crap from Amazon. Kids should have memories of trips to toy stores and sitting on the lap of some old asshole in a Santa Suit.
(09-20-2017, 02:59 PM)Pope Trollalotta Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2017, 02:43 PM)Frigg Wrote: [ -> ]Hard to feel one way or another about a toy monopoly.

I can to a degree. I feel sad that all brick and mortar stores are starting to die. It's just one more part of life that is being digitized. People no longer go out and live in the real world. They sit at home and order crap from Amazon. Kids should have memories of trips to toy stores and sitting on the lap of some old asshole in a Santa Suit.

I agree with everything you said.. I remember when Toys are us put all the brick and mortar local toy stores out of business. They were the first walmart of toys.

FAO Schwartz remember them? toys for rich kids.. It has been a steady departure from the old REAL toy stores.

?Remember when Christmas was all about the celebration of the birth of Christ

Now it is a just time of stress guilt and spending beyond your means. The secularized version of Xmas just depresses the hell out of me
(09-20-2017, 03:17 PM)Frigg Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2017, 02:59 PM)Pope Trollalotta Wrote: [ -> ]

I agree with everything you said.. I remember when Toys are us put all the brick and mortar local toy stores out of business. They were the first walmart of toys.

FAO Schwartz remember them? toys for rich kids.. It has been a steady departure from the old REAL toy stores.

Now it is a just time of stress guilt and spending beyond your means.  The secularized version of  Xmas just depresses the hell out of me

I remember hobby shops and going to Sears as a kid. What I really loved about Christmas as a kid was preparing for Christmas concerts. I was fortunate enough to have participated in performances of the Christmas part of the Messiah as a tenor in choir and as a horn player with the New Haven Civic Orchestra back in the late 70's. I also used to get invited to perform at Christmas Eve services as a flutist. Always Oh Holy Night or What child is this. Combine the religious and musical aspect of Christmas and you have magic.
(09-20-2017, 04:08 PM)Pope Trollalotta Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2017, 03:17 PM)Frigg Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2017, 02:59 PM)Pope Trollalotta Wrote: [ -> ]I can to a degree. I feel sad that all brick and mortar stores are starting to die. It's just one more part of life that is being digitized. People no longer go out and live in the real world. They sit at home and order crap from Amazon. Kids should have memories of trips to toy stores and sitting on the lap of some old asshole in a Santa Suit.

Now it is a just time of stress guilt and spending beyond your means.  The secularized version of  Xmas just depresses the hell out of me

I remember hobby shops and going to Sears as a kid. What I really loved about Christmas as a kid was preparing for Christmas concerts. I was fortunate enough to have participated in performances of the Christmas part of the Messiah as a tenor in choir and as a horn player with the New Haven Civic Orchestra back in the late 70's. I also used to get invited to perform at Christmas Eve services as a flutist. Always Oh Holy Night or What child is this. Combine the religious and musical aspect of Christmas and you have magic.

I miss the same things.. It was a magical time and a time for reflection over the past year and looking forward to the next. To give thanks and reunite with family and friends.

So much great Christmas music, traditions and fellowship... And FOOD!

Today's kids will never see that.. That is a real shame. People were nicer to each other and strangers even just for a few weeks..

Now it is suck me sideways free for all and misunderstood youths trampling people, literally to death at Wally World for crap... Many people killed for the very stupidest of reasons.

That is not what Christmas is about.
Pages: 1 2