The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Getting ready for a Long Range Shooting Class
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

I found this used..(With a QD La Rue Tactical Base) at a price I could not pass up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPXkLwO0PTI.

Due Diligence

They're pretty nice. I can't justify the price tag, but if you got a nice deal...

I'm a Vortex fan myself. They run a little pricey as well though.

What platform are you running it on, if you don't mind me asking?
(12-28-2015, 10:06 AM)Due Diligence Wrote: [ -> ]They're pretty nice. I can't justify the price tag, but if you got a nice deal...

[img][Image: mtxwmd.jpg][/img]7mm 08.. Heavy barrel..Built off a Remington 700 ..probably 140g Bergers

Due Diligence

How far are you planning on shooting?

Those 140s start losing steam after 200 rather quickly, even with Bergers. 156-162 hand loads would be ideal. Higher BC=less wind and spin drift, less drop at extended range and more energy on target.

Looks like a nice setup though.
(12-28-2015, 04:44 PM)Due Diligence Wrote: [ -> ]How far are you planning on shooting?

Those 140s start losing steam after 200 rather quickly, even with Bergers. 156-162 hand loads would be ideal. Higher BC=less wind and spin drift, less drop at extended range and more energy on target.

Looks like a nice setup though.

I had this rifle built for me about 5 years ago..I felt bad for the gunsmith, he had a bad fall and hit his head..He was never the same after that..My gunsmith friend John just went over the rifle after i complained that it did not hold a zero at 200 yards..It took him 2 min to find the problem..(one of the two screws that holds down the front scope mount on the Leupold was stripped..And I started to get weak primer strikes.. I never did a chart on the 140's to see their long range characteristics..I started there because the old gunsmith ran his test targets with this weight..

I guess i will have to do some research and see what the twist is..then go from there..I will be shooting out to 1000 yards..I have two other available rifles..A HB 223 and a 22 250.. They said it was my choice since they surprisingly allow all 3 calibers on their course.. They are very picky on the Scopes..(and No sporter rifles)

Due Diligence

You can find your twist fairly easily with a cleaning rod. It's hard to explain but I'm sure there's something on YouTube. I've been shooting long range for a while. I love it. I use a 7mm Mag and 06. The 7mm has a flatter trajectory than a .300 Mag.

Since you're running a shorter cased 7mm, momentum is going to be critical for anything past 400-600. Anything past that is going to be a pain in the ass unless it's a tame wind. Better BC with more ass behind it is going to be key.

Overall, all 3 will get paper at a grand. Nice to see you're interested in it. It's a feeling like no other to hit a target accurately at extended ranges... A rush almost. Good for you and good luck.
[Image: hpim0053.jpg]
My Step dad Larry Wog..One of the charter members..Front row White T shirt (Short Sleeve) Almost dead center under this sign...Circa 1968 He shot a 6.5 x 300 Weatherby...

franknbeans

(12-28-2015, 03:20 PM)JF Priest Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-28-2015, 10:06 AM)Due Diligence Wrote: [ -> ]They're pretty nice. I can't justify the price tag, but if you got a nice deal...

[img][Image: mtxwmd.jpg][/img]7mm 08.. Heavy barrel..Built off a Remington 700 ..probably 140g Bergers

7mm... Nice... Yeah3
I shot one a few years ago...very cool rifle... Cheer
(12-28-2015, 11:23 PM)franknbeans Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-28-2015, 03:20 PM)JF Priest Wrote: [ -> ]

7mm... Nice... Yeah3
I shot one a few years ago...very cool rifle... Cheer

Is nice.  I'm not a long range shooter myself. For game, I use the mossburg 5.56 mpv or for larger game I use either the lee enfield 303 english or the mossburg 30.30 lever action. Fun gun. For home defense it's the vz58.

For survival and migration in case. Light is the key. If I lived on flat land a long range would be very good.
Pages: 1 2