The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Crazy weather here...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I was going to go night fishing tonight.

Went and caught bait yesterday for some solid blue/flathead fishing.

Weather was normal last week....mid to upper 80's. Not too hot, nothing you could not stand.

Yesterday was mild....mid 70's which is really weird for this time of the year, but I'll take it.

Today we were in the low 70's and it's going to get down to 49 tonight....wtf? Is this the end of June or the end of September?

Well I am not going to waste my time going out all night with these kind of temps...it will put the fish down for sure.

BUT...by the weekend we are back up around 90 again.

I am not a believer in "anthropomorphic climate change"...aka...man made global warming.

However, climate change is real...all you have to do is look outside your window.

Personally I think it has more to do with the solar cycles, our position in the galactic plane and maybe whatever that weird thing is in the sky people keep photographing (and it ain't lens flares...lens flares do not reflect on water)

~mc~

(06-27-2017, 06:01 PM)Damrod Wrote: [ -> ]I was going to go night fishing tonight.

Went and caught bait yesterday for some solid blue/flathead fishing.

Weather was normal last week....mid to upper 80's.  Not too hot, nothing you could not stand.

Yesterday was mild....mid 70's which is really weird for this time of the year, but I'll take it.

Today we were in the low 70's and it's going to get down to 49 tonight....wtf?  Is this the end of June or the end of September?

Well I am not going to waste my time going out all night with these kind of temps...it will put the fish down for sure.

BUT...by the weekend we are back up around 90 again.

I am not a believer in "anthropomorphic climate change"...aka...man made global warming.

However, climate change is real...all you have to do is look outside your window.

Personally I think it has more to do with the solar cycles, our position in the galactic plane and maybe whatever that weird thing is in the sky people keep photographing (and it ain't lens flares...lens flares do not reflect on water)

my son told me it was 45 in Michigan this morning Shock
Its the quick unseasonal fluctuations and extremes that are not normal.

It was 101 here on Saturday. Last nights low was 51.

50 degree swing in two days.

We get hot east winds, then cool ocean breezes.

But normally (back in the 70's and 80's) that happened, but it happened mid - summer, and took several days to transition.

Hope you get a chance to fish before your bait goes bad.

What are flatheads, like bullheads?
(06-27-2017, 08:06 PM)Johntaraz Wrote: [ -> ]Its the quick unseasonal fluctuations and extremes that are not normal.

But normally (back in the 70's and 80's) that happened, but it happened mid - summer, and took several days to transition.

They are a predatory catfish....they get pretty big....world record is around 120 pounds.

Here's what these little lovelies look like...

[Image: all-tackle-world-record-catfish-ken-paul...herman.jpg]

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

[Image: 241.JPG]

They aren't exactly easy to catch either....they be pretty clever old fishies....

You will not catch one on nightcrawlers or chicken liver....

~mc~

(06-27-2017, 08:06 PM)Johntaraz Wrote: [ -> ]Its the quick unseasonal fluctuations and extremes that are not normal.

I wish my low would drop to 51 Eyeroll
(06-27-2017, 08:16 PM)~mc~ Wrote: [ -> ]

I wish my low would drop to 51  Eyeroll

You're in Arizona aren't you?

Man it would suck to be out there.....lots of sympathy for the southwest...you guys are getting baked
(06-27-2017, 08:12 PM)Damrod Wrote: [ -> ]

They are a predatory catfish....they get pretty big....world record is around 120 pounds.

They aren't exactly easy to catch either....they be pretty clever old fishies....

Whoa.

Those are some scary bastards.

But are they good eating?

Thanks for the visual.

We have sturgeon here in the Columbia.
That's about the biggest fish in Oregon.
(06-27-2017, 08:41 PM)Johntaraz Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-27-2017, 08:12 PM)Damrod Wrote: [ -> ]

Whoa.

Thanks for the visual.

They are excellent to eat. Since they are pure predators, they don't have a lot of the funk other catfish/scavengers have....I always catch and release....I want to send them back to grow so I can catch them again.

That's why they are hard to catch, they are predators....you need to invest time to catch live fish to use for bait if you want to catch them.

You may occasionally catch a mediocre one on dead bait...but the real trophies are looking for big live bait. MY personal best to this point is a 40 pounder....I am looking to upgrade that. The state record here is 70 pounds....I want to break that.

I would love to catch a sturgeon....yeah they are kinda the biggest fish in freshwater....hands down.
(06-27-2017, 08:47 PM)Damrod Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-27-2017, 08:41 PM)Johntaraz Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-27-2017, 08:12 PM)Damrod Wrote: [ -> ]They are a predatory catfish....they get pretty big....world record is around 120 pounds.

Whoa.

Thanks for the visual.

They are excellent to eat.  Since they are pure predators, they don't have a lot of the funk other catfish/scavengers have....I always catch and release....I want to send them back to grow so I can catch them again.

That's why they are hard to catch, they are predators....you need to invest time to catch live fish to use for bait if you want to catch them.

You may occasionally catch a mediocre one on dead bait...but the real trophies are looking for big live bait.  MY personal best to this point is a 40 pounder....I am looking to upgrade that.  The state record here is 70 pounds....I want to break that.

I would love to catch a sturgeon....yeah they are kinda the biggest fish in freshwater....hands down.

I guess you need a live bait fish of decent size to tempt a flathead.

How can you put a big enough hook in the bait fish, keep it alive, cruise it around, and still catch a monster?

I imagine you almost need a portable aquarium for your baitfish.
Or maybe some hardy crappie or bluegill in a large container with some water movement.
Maybe a bilge with containment tank?

Sounds like a real sporting endeavor Damrod.
Lots of work, but very satisfying to reel in a big one, after fighting it for 20 minutes.

~mc~

(06-27-2017, 08:19 PM)Damrod Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-27-2017, 08:16 PM)~mc~ Wrote: [ -> ]

I wish my low would drop to 51  Eyeroll

You're in Arizona aren't you?

Man it would suck to be out there.....lots of sympathy for the southwest...you guys are getting baked

Yes

And now there's big fires everywhere

We need rain BAD
Pages: 1 2 3