The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: Arctic Doomsday Seed Vault Almost Flooded, {MERGED}Melting Permafrost
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
"Global Doomsday Seed Vault Almost Flooded as Arctic Melts
03:00 20.05.2017

The Svalbard Global Seed Vault, the last-resort storage site for seeds designed to protect global plant biodiversity in the event of a planetary disaster or nuclear war, was almost flooded because of extremely high temperatures in the Arctic.

[Image: 1027325377.jpg]
Snow blows off the Svalbard Global Seed Vault before being inaugurated at sunrise
© AP Photo/ John McConnico

The Global Seed Vault was specifically designed with nuclear war in mind. It was even supposed to withstand a mythical nuclear winter — but it was nearly foundered by global warming.

The storage facility's entrance was swamped by melted and then refrozen permafrost (soil and water) after extremely high temperatures on Svalbard caused an unusual amount of heavy rain instead of light snow to fall.

"A lot of water went into the start of the tunnel and then it froze to ice, so it was like a glacier when you went in," said Hege Njaa Aschim, from the Norwegian government, which owns the vault.

Fortunately, the water froze before it could reach the vault itself and damage the seeds contained there. The ice was broken up and removed by the vault employees, but the breach has raised concerns over the storage's security.

"It was supposed to [operate] without the help of humans, but now we are watching the seed vault 24 hours a day," Aschim said. "We must see what we can do to minimize all the risks and make sure the seed bank can take care of itself."

According to Aschim, the breach happened because engineers never considered that the Arctic's layer permafrost, which is supposed to be, as the name suggests, permanent frost, would melt.

"It was not in our plans to think that the permafrost would not be there and that it would experience extreme weather like that," Aschim said."
https://sputniknews.com/world/2017052010...t-flooded/
The Svalbard ‘doomsday’ seed vault was built to protect millions of food crops from climate change, wars and natural disaster

19 May 2017 

Arctic stronghold of world’s seeds flooded after permafrost melts

No seeds were lost but the ability of the rock vault to provide failsafe protection against all disasters is now threatened by climate change
[/url]
[Image: lDNWT4N.jpg]       

Global Seed Vault, buried in a mountain deep inside the Arctic circle, has been breached after global warming produced extraordinary temperatures over the winter, sending meltwater gushing into the entrance tunnel.

The vault is on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen and contains almost a million packets of seeds, each a variety of an important food crop. When it was opened in 2008, the deep permafrost through which the vault was sunk was expected to provide “failsafe” protection against “the challenge of natural or man-made disasters”.

But soaring temperatures in the Arctic at the end of the world’s hottest ever recorded year led to melting and heavy rain, when light snow should have been falling. “It was not in our plans to think that the permafrost would not be there and that it would experience extreme weather like that,” said Hege Njaa Aschim, from the Norwegian government, which owns the vault.

“A lot of water went into the start of the tunnel and then it froze to ice, so it was like a glacier when you went in,” she told the Guardian. Fortunately, the meltwater did not reach the vault itself, the ice has been hacked out, and the precious seeds remain safe for now at the required storage temperature of -18C.

But the breach has questioned the ability of the vault to survive as a lifeline for humanity if catastrophe strikes. “It was supposed to [operate] without the help of humans, but now we are watching the seed vault 24 hours a day,” Aschim said. “We must see what we can do to minimize all the risks and make sure the seed bank can take care of itself.”

[Image: lIYpzMQ.jpg]   

Plastic boxes containing plant seeds inside the international Svalbard Global Seed Vault on Spitsbergen, Norway.
The vault’s managers are now waiting to see if the extreme heat of this winter was a one-off or will be repeated or even exceeded as climate change heats the planet. The end of 2016 saw average temperatures over 7C above normal on Spitsbergen, pushing the permafrost above melting point.

“The question is whether this is just happening now, or will it escalate?” said Aschim. The Svalbard archipelago, of which Spitsbergen is part, has warmed rapidly in recent decades, according to Ketil Isaksen, from Norway’s Meteorological Institute.

“The Arctic and especially Svalbard warms up faster than the rest of the world. The climate is changing dramatically and we are all amazed at how quickly it is going,” Isaksen [url=http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/permafrosten-smelter-rundt-dommedagshvelvet/67592670]told Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet.
Arctic ice falls to record winter low after polar 'heatwaves'

The vault managers are now taking precautions, including major work to waterproof the 100m-long tunnel into the mountain and digging trenches into the mountainside to channel meltwater and rain away. They have also removed electrical equipment from the tunnel that produced some heat and installed pumps in the vault itself in case of a future flood.

Aschim said there was no option but to find solutions to ensure the enduring safety of the vault: “We have to find solutions. It is a big responsibility and we take it very seriously. We are doing this for the world.”
“This is supposed to last for eternity,” said Åsmund Asdal at the Nordic Genetic Resource Centre, which operates the seed vault. _video

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...ost-melts/
"Man proposes, and God disposes."   Yeah
Sorry John.  Didn't see your thread..

https://the-fringe.com/thread-arctic_doo...permafrost
All the arguments over the last few years people saying Ice melt is a hoax. And post grafts from Norway showing the ice is growing. I said the Arctic is more than Norway as I had grafts from the USGS and some others.  I hope people can see doo doo day is approaching.
Bill Gates dick must have shriveled to a tictac when he got this news
(05-21-2017, 02:27 AM)Free Store Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry John.  Didn't see your thread..

https://the-fringe.com/thread-arctic_doo...permafrost

I'll merge them Heartflowers
(05-21-2017, 02:41 AM)Free Store Wrote: [ -> ]All the arguments over the last few years people saying Ice melt is a hoax. And post grafts from Norway showing the ice is growing. I said the Arctic is more than Norway as I had grafts from the USGS and some others.  I hope people can see doo doo day is approaching.

In 99 I went to Alaska to visit Grandad. He had three motorhomes and we did a motohome convoy for several thousand miles. We added our fair share of emissions! Chuckle 

None of the glacial tourist centers were anywhere near ice. The glaciers had retreated by miles and huge areas of conifers were dead. HUGE areas. 
I had been a long time wondering about acid rain but by 99 I put more scrutiny toward HAARP et al and weathermod technologies shifting or pulling the jet stream up to those latitudes from the lower equatorial latitudes and then dragging the jet stream down toward SE USA and then back up toward more northern Europe, etc..like film running through the pully's in a projector.  I still do...

I also went to Amsterdam in 98 in Feburary. No snow..no ice..mating birds building nests, and blooming crocus everywhere under the chemtrailed skies.

The locals told me it was the first year that zero ice formed in the canals. No ice skating on the canals.
The locals also pointed and laughed at me because I was wearing cut off shorts.
Men dont wear shorts here, especially in the winter, stupid American.
Chapter (8) sūrat l-anfāl (The Spoils of War)

[Image: 8_30.png]

Sahih International: And [remember, O Muhammad], when those who disbelieved plotted against you to restrain you or kill you or evict you [from Makkah]. But they plan, and Allah plans. And Allah is the best of planners.

Pickthall
: And when those who disbelieve plot against thee (O Muhammad) to wound thee fatally, or to kill thee or to drive thee forth; they plot, but Allah (also) plotteth; and Allah is the best of plotters.

Yusuf Ali
: Remember how the Unbelievers plotted against thee, to keep thee in bonds, or slay thee, or get thee out (of thy home). They plot and plan, and Allah too plans; but the best of planners is Allah.

Shakir
: And when those who disbelieved devised plans against you that they might confine you or slay you or drive you away; and they devised plans and Allah too had arranged a plan; and Allah is the best of planners.

Muhammad Sarwar
: The unbelievers planned to imprison, murder or expel you (Muhammad) from your city. They make evil plans but God too plans and God's plans are the best.

Mohsin Khan
: And (remember) when the disbelievers plotted against you (O Muhammad SAW) to imprison you, or to kill you, or to get you out (from your home, i.e. Makkah); they were plotting and Allah too was planning, and Allah is the Best of the planners.

Arberry
: And when the unbelievers were devising against thee, to confine thee, or slay thee, or to expel thee, and were devising, and God was devising; and God is the best of devisers.

Did you think all the seeds from Norway are going to the world? Think again. No. 

When the grid is down and radiation is everywhere, did you think the seeds will be distributed to the world?. Ha no. They belong to the Elite.

That's why you have to get your seeds.. Listening?   V6sRZf4
Pages: 1 2