The Fringe | Conspiracy, News, Politics, and Fun Forum!

Full Version: A Supernova can be seen in the Northern Hemisphere every nght
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After burning bright for millions of years, the brightest stars of all are destined to explode in one final blaze of glory: a supernova. Capable of shining as bright as many billions of stars put together, the light from a single outburst can be seen with the naked eye if it occurs in our own galaxy, and through a modest telescope from even tens of millions of light years away. On May 14th, a brand new supernova was discovered just 22 million light years away in a prolific object known as the Fireworks galaxy, making it the closest supernova to grace the skies in three years. With warm weather and summer approaching, this is the best chance you'll likely have to see one for yourself all year.

When a star is born, it's destined to shine brightly under the power of its own internal, nuclear reaction for anywhere from millions to trillions of years. But the most massive stars have a uniquely spectacular fate in store as their destiny: after burning through all the fusible material in its central region, its core will collapse under its own gravity. With radiation and even the pressure of the atoms and atomic nuclei themselves unable to resist the intense forces at play, the core implodes, triggering a runaway fusion reaction. The result is a Type II supernova explosion, which occurs only once per century in a galaxy like the Milky Way.

Follow-up observations confirmed that this is, in fact, a Type II supernova, one that continues to brighten as the days pass by. This very region of the galaxy happened to be previously imaged by the Hubble Space Telescope, which confirms that there was a progenitor star there, faint but clearly visible, despite the incredible cosmic distance separating us. It's a spectacular find, and one you can see with yourself through a backyard telescope, so long as you know where to look

The bright stars Vega and Deneb make up two-thirds of the Summer Triangle, which begins rising in the northeast skies after sunset as summer approaches. Moving away from Deneb in the east and heading towards Polaris, the north star, you'll encounter the brightest star in Cepheus: Alderamin. If you then trace an imaginary line back towards Vega, the unmistakably bright, blue star you started at back at the beginning, and move about the width of three fingers held at arm's length, you'll want to point your telescope there. _read more and pics

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswitha...ths-skies/
Time for binocs and wine on the hilltop, soon as the clouds decide to scatter.
(05-18-2017, 07:46 AM)Johntaraz Wrote: [ -> ]Time for binocs and wine on the hilltop, soon as the clouds decide to scatter.

that would be so fun!!
I think its this..

[Image: giphy.gif]
(05-18-2017, 11:57 AM)~mc~ Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2017, 07:46 AM)Johntaraz Wrote: [ -> ]Time for binocs and wine on the hilltop, soon as the clouds decide to scatter.

that would be so fun!!

It is fun MC.

Star party.

I highly recommend it.
Need those reclining folding chairs so the neck doesn't get tired looking up.

And then a campfire to sit around later and roast keilbasa on a stick, smores for desert.

[Image: i-1082bf626317d76869fca25f69b201d7-night...030_0.jpeg]
(05-18-2017, 12:11 PM)Johntaraz Wrote: [ -> ]

that would be so fun!!

It is fun MC.

Star party.

I highly recommend it.

And then a campfire to sit around later and roast keilbasa on a stick, smores for desert.

sounds amazing. daydream

id have to drive pretty far to see clearly. Like out by the superstition mountains.

I have city smog here :/
(05-18-2017, 12:19 PM)~mc~ Wrote: [ -> ]

that would be so fun!!

It is fun MC.

Star party.

I highly recommend it.

sounds amazing. daydream

id have to drive pretty far to see clearly. Like out by the superstition mountains.

There's a nice lake up there, about 35? miles from Mesa. We went up there about 8 years ago. My folks had a snowbird doublewide w/Arizona room in Mesa.

I think that area would be great for stargazing.
Remote desert mountain skies after a rainstorm are really great for the clarity and panorama.

Heartflowers
(05-18-2017, 12:28 PM)Johntaraz Wrote: [ -> ]

that would be so fun!!

It is fun MC.

Star party.

I highly recommend it.

sounds amazing. daydream

There's a nice lake up there, about 35? miles from Mesa. We went up there about 8 years ago. My folks had a snowbird doublewide w/Arizona room in Mesa.

Remote desert mountain skies after a rainstorm are really great for the clarity and panorama.

Heartflowers

Probably canon lake Heartflowers
(05-18-2017, 12:36 PM)~mc~ Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2017, 12:28 PM)Johntaraz Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2017, 11:57 AM)~mc~ Wrote: [ -> ]that would be so fun!!

It is fun MC.

Star party.

I highly recommend it.

sounds amazing. daydream

Heartflowers

Probably canon lake  Heartflowers

daydream star gazing